PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan 750 Riders: yeah Baby!!

Mike_B
01-20-2005, 04:03 PM
If you ride a Vulcan 750 or have questions about them, check in here. If you already own one: where are you from and what year do you have?

Ride4Life
01-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Mike,

I was looking at a 2003 Vulcan 750 with about 5,800 miles on it this past summer. I even took it for a short 40 or 50 mile ride. The bike was a dream to ride, and it performed better than I thought "top heavy" bike would perform.

The only reason I didn't buy it was the extraordinary distance the shift lever seemed to be away from the tip of my size 12 boot, and the amount of "free" play the shift lever seemed to have when I tried to shift it. In order to reach the shifter, I had to slide my size 12 foot forward about four inches before my toe would reach under the lever. Plus, when I would shift up into a higher gear or down to a lower gear, I felt like I had to move my foot at least an inch before the shifter would finally work.

Is that how the 750 is suppose to be?

Seriously, I don't really know. The mechanic "said" everthing was fine, but I was skeptical. So, calling all 750 owners for advice, I'd appreciate learning more about the bike.

Ride Safe,

Steve

FlyinV
01-20-2005, 06:58 PM
I love my Vulcan 750.

Was the mechanic a person you trusted or a person connected to selling the bike?
If your serious about the bike maybe take it to an independent mechanic.

I think the shift is a bit long on the Vulcan but its never bothered me in 2000 miles so far.

I also don't have a ton of recent experience on other bikes so I am not a good one to compare.
It just seemed a bit farther then the bike I rode in MSF. Which was some Yamaha dual sport model which shifted like garbage. At least the Vulcan gets in gear LOL!

Mike_B
01-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Mike,

I was looking at a 2003 Vulcan 750 with about 5,800 miles on it this past summer. I even took it for a short 40 or 50 mile ride. The bike was a dream to ride, and it performed better than I thought "top heavy" bike would perform.

The only reason I didn't buy it was the extraordinary distance the shift lever seemed to be away from the tip of my size 12 boot, and the amount of "free" play the shift lever seemed to have when I tried to shift it. In order to reach the shifter, I had to slide my size 12 foot forward about four inches before my toe would reach under the lever. Plus, when I would shift up into a higher gear or down to a lower gear, I felt like I had to move my foot at least an inch before the shifter would finally work.

Is that how the 750 is suppose to be?

Seriously, I don't really know. The mechanic "said" everthing was fine, but I was skeptical. So, calling all 750 owners for advice, I'd appreciate learning more about the bike.

Ride Safe,

Steve

I don't have to move my foot foward at all (size 10 by the way) to lift the shift lever. The lever sits right over the top of my toe. A previous owner must have monkeyed with the shifter. It does take at least in inch of travel to shift though. Shifting is easy and I've read that the feel can be different with different brands of oil. Can you get to a dealer just to sit on a new, "unmodified" bike? How did you like the seat? A lot of folks have traded the stock out because after about an hour, things start getting "tender" back there :grin: I've found I'm ready for a break after about an hour on the stock seat. Most of my riding is commuting and that's only a 25 minute trip so it's usually not an issue. If you shopping for another 2002-2003 model, be aware that there could be a problem where the drive shaft meets the pinion gear. The splines at the end of the drive shaft didn't get properly lubed at the factory and lots of people look in there and see a bunch of red dust and severly worn splines. A lot of them don't think to inspect it and the whole thing strips out. Pretty annoying, in gear, clutch out, engine running like a top and not moving at all. It's one of those things that if you know about it, you can get it taken care of relatively easily, if you're ok with taking off the rear wheel.

VulcanVoyager
01-25-2005, 07:24 AM
I have an '04 Vulcan 750 with about 3300 miles on it. I'll be selling it in the Spring, since I want to focus on riding my Concours....I think the 750 is a great bike and I will always recommend it! My opinion is based on its power, handling, stability, price, and features, all of which are unbeatable in a middleweight--or anyweight--bike.

Regarding the shifter questions above, my bike shifts very smoothly and I have never noticed any slack or take-up in the lever. There is no "clunk" on any of the upshifts...smooth as can be (a bit of a clunk from 2nd down to first).

I wear rather smallish size 8 1/2 shoes and have a 32 inch inseam...I adjusted the lever angle to better fit my foot position, but that is easy with the external splined shifter mounting.

The reach to the footpeg is fine for me, although I actually good use a tad more. A longer reach would seem to be more comfortable on long rides. But highway pegs would easily take care of that.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions anyone has on the bike here or in an instant message...

Roll safely,

Roy

Clair
01-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Okay, I'm late I know, more to come though.

First off, The VN750 ROCKS BABY!. It is a fine bike in the 800cc and under range. Very hard to beat in any category. FAST, low maintenance, every gadget you need. The VN750 is only surpassed by the Intruder 800 (by 0.04 secs) in the quarter mile split time for all 800cc bikes and under. The VN750 is also faster than over half the bikes in the 800-1500cc range. Yes, that's correct, it beats over half of the larger bikes in the quarter mile split. Being shaft drive with hydralic adjusters, it is basically maintenance free. Just gas it and go. And for instrumentation ... it has everything placed such that you barely need to move your head to see them when wearing a FF helmet. Speedo, tach, gas gauge, left/right blinker, highbeam indicator, headlight out indicator, and 4-Way Flashers !!!

I have a size 8 boot and have no problem shifting. Don't have to do anything to shift other than slide the boot under or over it, depending on what i'm doing. Bike shifts smoothly. I suspect someone finagled with yours.

I'll post more in a bit, but it's time to go home. But, if you're looking for a great mid-size cruiser, The VN750 ROCKS!!!