PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Yamaha Morphous

Rod
08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Boy does that look neat!! Kind of like a mini FJR 1300

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/mcy/general/media_content_unit01360fa910.jpg

Sorry about that. I don't know how to delete it and the model was already discussed :horse:

Rod
Riverview,FL

x_cuesme
08-15-2005, 09:52 PM
No need to delete- folks here will talk about things twice with no problems!

I haven't seen one yet- I have seen a '06 Majesty, but not the Morph- I know a lot of folks are doing a lot of talking about them.

Seems the 'look' of the scoot is going to be a love/hate thing- will be very interesting to see how it rides!

And I don't think we've met before- welcome Rod!

Rod
08-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome X. I used to read the old BB board when I first started my middle aged crazy hobby about 18 months ago. Glad I found this place. Among many others, I remember some great Beginner advice I got from LoDown Sinner. Glad he's here,too.

Great people here. I would like to get the Lil Dove to try a scoot that's well made and has good braking and handling. I suspect this really cool lookin' Yamaha is a bit much. Maybe a Vino is more her style.

Darn gas prices are going to get more people in the warm weather climates looking at neat bikes like these.

So what makes you folks give up the clutch and the bigger wheels?

TIA

Rod
Riverview, FL

x_cuesme
08-15-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm another middle-aged crazy- just 12 months worth on my end.

We have a Vino 125 on the premises- great scoot to start on. Just enough power for regular streets (not interstate, of course) and not enough weight or power to scare the tar out of you. We've put nearly 1300 miles on it in 11 months...Okay, our daughter owns it and I put 500 of that on there in the last ten weeks! :smug:

I'm not the best person to ask about little wheels and no shifting- although I've owned a Silverwing and a Reflex, I'm a traitor that rides MCs too and currently only own a Honda VLX that is officially 'mine." I love both scooters and MCs and seem to insist I have one of each to be perfectly happy!

I will buy another scoot sometime before next spring- of my own- but haven't quite decided what it will be yet...no larger than a 400 for sure, probably a 250- in part due to those gas prices!

We're in MO and scooters are selling like crazy here the last few weeks- particulary 250cc and under- there's basically nothing left on the showroom floors in either of our local dealerships less than 400cc. Maybe one Metropolitan and one Elite- this is NOT scooter country and the run is absolutely amazing. We used to be able to get really good prices on scooters...But as you said, I'm afraid those days are soon gone...

One sales guy said small bikes are selling like wildfire, too- The big ones are starting to collect dust and they can't keep a 250 on the floor. Has to be gas prices- people are getting real nervous about the economy!

So why did you choose no shifting and small wheels??

Rod
08-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Actually, I ride a Suzuki 650 Wee Strom and love it. I'm in outside sales so I really can't see customers smelling like sweat and rain water around here in Florida this time of year. So in the cage I go for 30,000 miles a year.

I'd love to talk my SO into riding a scoot. I sat on a Burgman and thought it was really nice but maybe too big for her. I got passed on the freeway by a Silverwing going 85 MPH and thought to myself "self, those are real motorcycles".

We have a lot of nit wit drivers and far too few roads but I see more and more scoots. It's too dangerous to commute on one around here but the prime riding season is coming up. The technology of those bikes are incredible. I ride my recumbent bicycle 3500 miles a year on the streets but you can never have enough toys, ya know? :smile:

Rod

Chrystal
08-16-2005, 09:59 AM
No need to delete- folks here will talk about things twice with no problems!

Heck, some of us will talk about things a hundred times and still not get bored. :)

MaxiScoot
08-16-2005, 02:11 PM
I saw a blue Morphous at my Yamaha dealer last time I was there. It has 13" wheels, a 26" seat height, and it's only 250cc. Long and low. I liked it, but my husband doesn't.

They finally come out with a scooter that has a nice low seat height, in my favorite color, and I'm now riding a MC instead of a scoot. Argh!

By the way, http://jbhasroom.com/signwelcomespin.gif

RockyMtnRoadRash
08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I stand my earlier statement of "Kill it before it lays eggs."

Man is that thing every an eyesore with the big nose. 'Course, people say the same about me.

prester_john
08-16-2005, 06:19 PM
So what makes you folks give up the clutch and the bigger wheels?
I'd love to have a 125cc-200cc sport-standard motorbike. Other than the $4000 MZ RT125 available at a dealership 275 miles away, can you recomend any? ;)

Scoot safe,
Tom

prester_john
08-16-2005, 06:21 PM
It has 13" wheels, a 26" seat height, and it's only 250cc.
Fuel injection, radial tires. If only middleweight motorbikes were spec'd so well.

Tom

x_cuesme
08-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Tom, bikes are sure expensive where you live...

What difference will radial tires make vs. ply tires? (My ignorance is showing again, I don't know what to call 'regular' tires..)

RMR, did you provide the prototype for the Morphous??? ;-)

I'll have to see one...but...uhm...they are butt ugly. So is the Helix. My H keeps telling me my 'butt' isn't going to care if they're ugly.

Maybe I'm just a Reflex kind of gal...

prester_john
08-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Tom, bikes are sure expensive where you live...
Well, $3995 is the MSRP of the MZ RT125 in my country, the USA. :)

Tom

"Oh yeah, well, I think your car is funny looking!" Bumpersticker seen on a Citroen DS21.

spotbeagle
08-17-2005, 10:36 AM
I stand my earlier statement of "Kill it before it lays eggs."

Man is that thing every an eyesore with the big nose. 'Course, people say the same about me.

I saw one at the vendor tent at Laguna Seca, and I totally agree with RMRR on killing it before it lays eggs. The picture makes it look good, but in person looking at it I have visions of Jurassic Park.

Maybe Yamaha is trying to one-up Pontiac's butt ugly Aztek . . .

MaxiScoot
08-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Maybe Yamaha is trying to one-up Pontiac's butt ugly Aztek . . .
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1063980/SmlyROFL.gif

x_cuesme
08-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Well, Tom, JoMo is in the USA- but we're all horse traders down here...don't pay MSRP for nothin'...

Now I have to go look the bike up...

prester_john
08-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Now I have to go look the bike up...
Well, excuse-m-wa if I was obtuse. :D My point was, IMO there's really not a lot of overlap or competition with available motorscooters and motorbikes in the USA. If an American rider wants a street machine below 200cc's, they can chose a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, an MZ RT125, or a Vento Rebellion 150....(Let's see a show of hands - who knows where their closest MZ or Vento dealer is?)...or they can choose among over 25 different scooter models. It's kind of the same thing with touring style motorcycles (full fairing, all-day saddle, floorboards, neutral ergos, hard storage). Want a factory ride smaller than Kawasaki's 1000cc, 600 lb. Concours? In American, that middle-weight touring motorcycle is also going to be one of around a dozen available maxi-scooters, then.

Tom

PS - And it just so happens that the storage and protection of touring bikes makes them good machines for commuting - if they're not too big & bulky. ;)

x_cuesme
08-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Now you know the secret of my handle! ;-)

Ah- the reader was obtuse. I did totally miss your point, my apologies! With little competition, pricing doesn't get competitive either- no truer words than those.

We did well for a while here because even the limited supply was overkill for the demand- not anymore. Gas prices have jumped almost $.60 in two weeks- demand now exceeds availability.

I'm spending a week in Springfield just before Labor Day for work related training and I'm looking forward to seeing what the offerings are there. There are some scooter shops carrying lines like Baja that can't be seen here and I'm very interested in the 150cc-200cc range on scoots---

Of course, I've never SEEN one...can't get that from Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha, which is all we have here...

misterroy
07-25-2007, 09:15 PM
2007 morphus is a fine machine but don't spend your money on the tall windshield from cee baileys it put's to much down force on the front forks it feels like a bering is out or sompthing

misterroy 2007 morphus::-

Jim
08-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Well I have the 2008 model of the Morphous although Im a bit disappointed about it not haveing tons of after market parts and accessories (and mod upgrades) I think its a decient bike...Im small so I am very limited on what I can ride/buy most of the scooters and even MCs out thier are just to tall for me to sit comfortable on and flat foot (most I just touch the ground on my toes and that just made me feel very uncomfortable and when I saw the morph sitting on the floor of the dealer I figured "what the heck I will take a sit and see how it feels" and I sat down and loved the seat level, the controls were easy to use and I didnt feel too small for it, and most importantly I could sit with my feet firmly on the ground and hold it steady and not feel as if I was gonna fall over and role the bike...plus its a fun machine and gets 50+ MPG and I just have a blast on it when ever I ride it...

Granted I wish thier was a larger aftermarket parts selection for it but hey perhaps in the future Ill get enough courage to try makeing my own parts with the help of friends...and then it will truly be unique for me....and yes I understand where some come from on the love/hate thing I kinda wish it had a tad bigger storage area in the back end and under the seat...but really I got the bike because it was the best fit for me...and personially I like things that are sleak and just seem to slip through the air...