PDA

View Full Version : Iridium plugs versus regular?

remy_marathe
08-12-2005, 06:19 PM
In preparation for a longer venture I'm making this weekend, I want to get a new round of spark plugs after work today. On last inspection, one of mine was getting more fouled than the other, and may be the cause of stuttering that I've been experiencing.
Are iridium plugs more reliable firers? I've heard they're tougher to clean but I don't know what that implies. In your experience, are they worth the extra cost?

yossarian
08-12-2005, 08:31 PM
I'd stick with cheap coppers and just change them every other oil change. Platinum/iridium/unobtainium/whatever last longer, but not enough to justify the price in my option, and at the cost of a weaker spark. Copper conducts electricity better, and NGKs are like $2. If your plugs are fouling on a 4 stroke you've got other problems.

sanglant
08-12-2005, 10:56 PM
In preparation for a longer venture I'm making this weekend, I want to get a new round of spark plugs after work today. On last inspection, one of mine was getting more fouled than the other, and may be the cause of stuttering that I've been experiencing.
Are iridium plugs more reliable firers? I've heard they're tougher to clean but I don't know what that implies. In your experience, are they worth the extra cost?

On your bike, no. Stick with the stock type NGK plugs.

Ignitions systems are designed to be a system. If the bike needs high end plugs, run them. But, just like adding big wires on a weak stock coil, one change alone won't necessarily provide any help. If you need a stronger spark, you need stronger coils. That will run about $120 or so. A better box would help, too. But, at that point, you have to consider whether the cost of the changes is worth the improvement. For my money, I'd run a bottle of Techron through the tank beofre I started changing the ignition components out. If one plug is getting more fouled than the other on your bike, there is some other issue at play, if it is a serious difference in sooting.

Logan
08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
There's an iridium plug that folks on f650.com swear by that improves engine characteristics; runs much smooother.

But, until you know why one is fouling, it may be better to stick with the stockplug for now.

pdxvespa
08-13-2005, 02:12 AM
Warning: cager-related info >> FWIW, I just changed the plugs on my Audi TT, and though others who've added an aftermarket chip like I have recommend iridium plugs, the guys at the local shop that do R&D on the GIAC chips say they've had better luck with the NGK's-- so Remy, save some change for other mods ;)