PDA

View Full Version : I need your help ASAP guys.......

JsWoRLd316
07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Ok, this is the deal. Today im going to check this Suzuki katana. It has 600cc and the year is 91. Do you think is a good starters bike. The guy is only selling it for $900 can you beleive that.. The problem that the bike has is that it dosent have 2nd gear. Is that a very bad thing or i can fix that for very little money? The fairings is crack but i got no problems with that since im going to learn on it. Its missing a turn signal and a mirror i can replace that. Do you think i should get the bike. what do you think guys. Its the weight of the bike going to be a problem for me. since im only 150lbs and 6ft tall. I need your response asap. Im going to check out the bike at 7pm. HELP.
thank you guys.

LoDownSinner
07-31-2005, 04:35 PM
If second is out in the transmission, you've got to totally disassemble to motor to get to it. If you're not experienced enough to do the work yourself, I'd say pass...

Zixxer10
07-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Ok, this is the deal. Today im going to check this Suzuki katana. It has 600cc and the year is 91. Do you think is a good starters bike. The guy is only selling it for $900 can you beleive that.. The problem that the bike has is that it dosent have 2nd gear. Is that a very bad thing or i can fix that for very little money? The fairings is crack but i got no problems with that since im going to learn on it. Its missing a turn signal and a mirror i can replace that. Do you think i should get the bike. what do you think guys. Its the weight of the bike going to be a problem for me. since im only 150lbs and 6ft tall. I need your response asap. Im going to check out the bike at 7pm. HELP.
thank you guys.

Average Trade-in for that bike is $1,475 for a bike in good condition with average miles. However, transmission work requires splitting the engine cases and is not something you want to tackle yourself. Check with your local Suzuki dealer or reputable bike shop on what it will cost to repair the trans. Why do you suppose the guy is unloading it instead of repairing it if it was easy to fix? Take my advice and pass on this bike. It's not going to be worth your trouble.

A 600 Kat is a good learner bike, but get one that is mechanically sound. A 600 Bandit, GS 500, EX 500 Kawasaki or similar bikes all make good learner bikes. Try and get hold of a copy of Darwin Holmstrom's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Motorcycles. In the back of the book he lists Best Buys and Best Beginner's Bike's for all types of bikes, (sport, touring, dirt, etc.) It's well worth reading for all new riders.

Smitty
07-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Stay clear of a bike with cog box problems for that is very costly & there could be more. Like why did it loose it's 2nd gear like was it in stunting?

HotFix
07-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Ug - transmission problems. There may be more going on than just 2nd gear. How did it get that way is another cause of concern. I'd say pass.

mediajackl
07-31-2005, 06:01 PM
All I know about this: shop labor now seems to run $70-$75 an hour.

Shadow Shack
07-31-2005, 06:03 PM
From that description I'd say you'd have trouble recouping $900 by parting it out on E-Bay. Cracked fairing, trashed tranny...gotta wonder what else is wrong with it. Sounds like it spent an unhealthy career as a stunt bike, in which case you're looking at new fork seals, steering bearings, swingarm bearings, tires, brakes, possible frame issues, and other hidden costs not revealed by that description.

Keep in mind, a bike that gets wheelied for extensive lengths at extensive angles is running at high RPMs with all the oil at the back of the case instead of the pan...in other words the oil isn't circulating anymore since it isn't where the pump is. Which is one possible explanation for that tranny issue, and other problems that could arise in the motor...

Bobthearch
07-31-2005, 06:06 PM
A 15-year-old bike that needs a new transmission, new fairing, new mirror, new turn signal. Plus who know what else.

Unless it's free and you're an experienced mechanic with tools and a shop, I'd run away.

Wonder if you could part-out the remainder of the bike on eBay and make a profit?

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear. But that's how I feel about busted-ass bikes.

Good Luck, whatever you decide.
-Bob

Shadow Shack seems to have been quick on the draw with the eBay idea

JsWoRLd316
07-31-2005, 06:10 PM
I mean im just looking for a bike to ride to learn on and increase my skills, after that sell the bike to get a better one. How big of a problem is for the bike not having 2nd gear? I mean im going to checkit out with my dad since he knows somewhat about bikes and im going to ask the owner alot of questions and if i think the bike would be good im going to end up getting it. Probably ask the owner to sell it to me for $700 or 750.

SHOULD I GET IT OR NOT?

Bobthearch
07-31-2005, 06:23 PM
If it's not mechanically sound, it's not a good bike for anyone, beginner or expert, until it's repaired. You might be able to work around the Second Gear issue, I dunno. But you're going to need every bit of your concentration without having to worry about which gear you're in and if it works. You also won't be able to ride it on public streets or register it unless you fix the mirror and turn signal.

It does sound like an interesting project bike if you're interested in learning motorcycle mechanics.

I don't know you, your wrenching ability, or resources. But if it were me, I'd have to take a Pass.

Very Best Wishes,
-Bob

sanglant
07-31-2005, 06:24 PM
I mean im just looking for a bike to ride to learn on and increase my skills, after that sell the bike to get a better one. How big of a problem is for the bike not having 2nd gear? I mean im going to checkit out with my dad since he knows somewhat about bikes and im going to ask the owner alot of questions and if i think the bike would be good im going to end up getting it. Probably ask the owner to sell it to me for $700 or 750.

SHOULD I GET IT OR NOT?

I'll make it simple for you, since you don't seem to like the explanations people have given you.

NO!!

Zixxer10
07-31-2005, 07:29 PM

SHOULD I GET IT OR NOT?

Have you not been listening? NOT! You're going to make an emotional decision that's going to really cost you. "The school of hard knocks is a difficult one, but a fool will learn in no other."

derJmeistr
07-31-2005, 08:19 PM
should I Get It Or Not?

NO.

It would be a very, very bad idea. This is the equivalent of buying a horse with three legs and wondering if it would make a good first horse. The answer is no. $900 is a lot of money for a lawn ornament, and you will not be able to ride it without spending a ton of money (and even then, it's not going to be a very good bike to learn on), and you will NOT be able to sell it for anywhere NEAR what you would have to spend to get it so that you could MAYBE ride it. So.

NO. GETTING THIS BIKE IS A BAD IDEA. IF YOU ARE SMART, YOU WILL RUN, NOT WALK, AWAY FROM THIS "DEAL."

roptics
07-31-2005, 08:37 PM
I bought an '86 Radian (YX600) for $650. I replaced the clutch (seller included it) and I learned how to rebuild carbs. Now I have a very nice running bike that does everything that I need it to. I also picked up a side hobby of getting replacement carbs from Ebay and I restore them and make a very nice profit. Last two sets I bought for 50/each put 20 in parts into each and I have sold them for 250 and 350 each. Yes there is a lot of labor but I learn something. I have financed all of my riding gear by doing this.

Robert

There are better bikes for the money than what you are looking at.

JsWoRLd316
07-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Ok, i went to check out the bike. The reason why the biker is selling it because he went down on wednesday. The bike has some fairing damage to the left side but everything else is in good condition. everyhting runs good he got the inspection up to date, the back is good when the bike goes into 2nd it goes back to neutral. He has kept go care of the bike, The bike has new tires and a new rear brake. Everything runs smooth. He tested the bike right in fornt of me. He changes the oil every 500 miles. I think the bike is good i hope i had one of you there so you can check out the bike. The guys wants $700, he told me that the bike does just find there is no reason why to spend $500 on the gears if im just going to start on it. I think im going to get it, i told him i was going to give him a call tomorrow.

Another thing that had me thinking, When i put on the bike and i was testing the rpm, when i gave the trottle a little push the bike was accelerating fast, Is the bike going to be like that when i put it in gear. The bottom line is if a1991 KATANA 600 good for a beginner. Not the katana im talking about, but any katana from the early 90s. ARE THEY GOOD STARTERS BIKE?

sanglant
07-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Ok, i went to check out the bike. The reason why the biker is selling it because he went down on wednesday. The bike has some fairing damage to the left side but everything else is in good condition. everyhting runs good he got the inspection up to date, the back is good when the bike goes into 2nd it goes back to neutral. He has kept go care of the bike, The bike has new tires and a new rear brake. Everything runs smooth. He tested the bike right in fornt of me. He changes the oil every 500 miles. I think the bike is good i hope i had one of you there so you can check out the bike. The guys wants $700, he told me that the bike does just find there is no reason why to spend $500 on the gears if im just going to start on it. I think im going to get it, i told him i was going to give him a call tomorrow.

Another thing that had me thinking, When i put on the bike and i was testing the rpm, when i gave the trottle a little push the bike was accelerating fast, Is the bike going to be like that when i put it in gear. The bottom line is if a1991 KATANA 600 good for a beginner. Not the katana im talking about, but any katana from the early 90s. ARE THEY GOOD STARTERS BIKE?

Um, yes, yes, they are awesome starter bikes, especially those without 2nd gear (you know the bike still has second gear and that the PO has severely damaged the transmission shaft dogs, and that's why it's spitting out the 2nd gear set and kicking to neutral, right?), that way you can't go too fast all of a sudden. I have advocated starting on heavy bikes for years, and for ripping out 2nd and 4th gears of all starter bikes.

He didn't seem to understand advice from someone that has built essentially the same bike (91 to 95 kats are mechanically the same) into a machine that spanks Hayabusas. Maybe he's into opposites, so now he won't end up with the POS? :heyyou: And every 500 mileson the oil? :ugly_tock BS. *I* don't change oil that frequently, and all of my bikes have all of their gears! Guys claiming stellar maintanence records and don't have the reciepts, or even the handwritten documentation of the intervals, set off my _LIAR_ alarms.

Mugster
07-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Hey JsWoRLd316, Just out of curiosity, what's your plan for shifting the bike? You going to start in first and then double shift into 3rd without releasing the clutch when you are in 2nd?

Lol. Enquiring minds want to know.

remy_marathe
07-31-2005, 11:59 PM
...When i put on the bike and i was testing the rpm, when i gave the trottle a little push the bike was accelerating fast, Is the bike going to be like that when i put it in gear...

When a bike's not in gear, the engine speed reponds more quickly because it's not under load. RPM's don't translate directly to speed, though. This isn't a knock or anything, but if you don't already know this maybe you should take an MSF course or drive a car that's a stick-shift before considering a motorcycle. Then you will understand why it's important to have a second gear.
Second gear is where you spend most of your time when making turns from a stop. Second gear is where you do low-speed maneuvers if first is a little too torquey. It's a good gear, so take the advice of everyone on this board and pass on this bike. Maybe get some schooling with manual transmissions, so next time you look at a bike you will know more about what to look for.

Anyway, it sounds like Sanglant knows the kat 600's inside and out, and exactly what's causing the gearbox trouble. If he says no (which he has, repeatedly), don't buy the bike. Very simple.

Harvey
08-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Another thing that had me thinking, When i put on the bike and i was testing the rpm, when i gave the trottle a little push the bike was accelerating fast, Is the bike going to be like that when i put it in gear.
All internal combustion engines will rev up quickly when not under load. Out of gear, only the inertia of the engine internals and the internal resistance of the motor parts act to slow the revs. If adding throttle to a running engine, out of gear, does not cause it to accelerate quickly, I would think that there was a problem.

I can't imagine that a bike that is missing 2nd gear and is 15 years old is not going to be without some expensive issues. I say don't get it. JMO.

What was your dad's opinion? Has he seen it yet?

LoDownSinner
08-01-2005, 07:39 AM
I think im going to get it, i told him i was going to give him a call tomorrow.
A Katana 600 would be an OK, first bike.

However, if you get this one, my crystal ball says you're gonna be sorry...

Jack_R1
08-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Sanglant is on the spot - the bike has worn out dogs on the transmission sprockets. You're likely to replace those sprockets, and the shift fork might be bent / worn out, too.
It happens when you misshift a lot, hitting too high/low revs when shifting, probably shifting while wheelying.

Make your own choice, prepare to pay for it, if it'll turn out wrong.

Lezbert
08-01-2005, 11:16 AM
So, you want a bike you can learn on, and this one has no second gear. So, you're going to get used to shifting from first to third gear? Here's my theory: Learning to ride on a broken bike will teach you only how to ride a broken bike.

Just my two cents.

Harvey
08-01-2005, 12:07 PM
So, you want a bike you can learn on, and this one has no second gear. So, you're going to get used to shifting from first to third gear? Here's my theory: Learning to ride on a broken bike will teach you only how to ride a broken bike.

Just my two cents.
There's a lot of truth to this. My GS500 came with a defective engine gasket that would spray a mist of oil on my right leg when accelerating at highway speeds (like during passing). To this day I still glance at my right leg occasionally during rides... :lol:

Zixxer10
08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
I think im going to get it, i told him i was going to give him a call tomorrow.

Yeah, I think everyone has figured that out by now. Few things are as aggravating as someone who asks for advice, and when people take the time to give good solid advice, the person totally ignores them. If your mind is made up, stop bothering people with foolishness. You're about to get what you deserve.

JsWoRLd316
08-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Ok, I pass on the bike, But one thing that gets me mad is when people write things with out even thinking. They just write stupid things just because they bore. I mean why would i post a thread if im not going to take advices from yall thas a waist of my time and your time. I listen to all the advices that yall have gave me so far, If you want prove read all my posts. Yeah you know who im directing this post to. YES I DID PASS ON THE BIKE, EVEN THOUGH I FAIL IN LOVE WITH IT.

remy_marathe
08-01-2005, 06:15 PM
I think everyone was really concerned that you might buy what looked like a really bad deal, and took your silence as ignoring their posts rather than what it probably was- you weren't sitting at your computer. There seems to be something in the air lately, too- a lot of negative posting, people assuming the worst, and people using sarcasm against innocent newbies.
JsWoRLd316, there'll be other bikes. I first fell in love with a Kawasaki vulcan 500. Perfect price, beautiful bike, and only 6 hours away. I just couldn't afford the road trip at the time, so I had to let it go. And whatever you end up getting, you will love it because it will be your first bike. Good luck, man.

sanglant
08-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Ok, I pass on the bike, But one thing that gets me mad is when people write things with out even thinking. They just write stupid things just because they bore. I mean why would i post a thread if im not going to take advices from yall thas a waist of my time and your time. I listen to all the advices that yall have gave me so far, If you want prove read all my posts. Yeah you know who im directing this post to. YES I DID PASS ON THE BIKE, EVEN THOUGH I FAIL IN LOVE WITH IT.

Spell check is your friend. :heyyou:

MsPotatoPotatoHead
08-01-2005, 06:56 PM
To all who posted in this thread:

Geez, cut the guy some slack, ok? He asked, you answered, he DID take the advice you gave in the end. If you're tired (or bored) of answering these types of questions, let someone else respond. I've seen a lot of newbie bashing on this board lately and it concerns me that we might, collectively, be sending the wrong message to a potential new rider. Wouldn't you rather he hang out here and ask what seem to you to be ignorant questions than go get advice from one of the squid forums???

JSWorLD316, thanks for sticking around and listening. FWIW, this forum isn't usually this snarky - must be something in the water (or the record heat that is gripping the entire country...;)). The advice you received was good advice, even if some of was delivered not so nicely. Glad you were able to get over that and do the right thing, anyway. Welcome, and hope you'll stick around and ask more questions.

JsWoRLd316
08-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks alot MsPotatoPotatoHead. Thanks to all the bikers that gave me good advices.

Ride safe

J

TorontoBoy
08-01-2005, 07:45 PM
This site has experienced and informed posters that are genuinely concerned with a beginner biker's well being. It's important to us all that new riders grow to become old riders. Many newbies post on the site asking for confirmation of a bad decision and posters here will not give their blessing.

People who ask for advice and then ignore it when they receive it are not uncommon here or elsewhere. If you are one of these people then posters, with their concern for your long term safety, will become more "assertive". Again, for those who are concerned with your well being, this is not uncommon here or elsewhere.

Honesty in this world is not easy to find. It's in your best interest to listen to it.

honeygee2
08-01-2005, 08:00 PM
the problem with this post is the fact that a bunch of people offered their advice not to buy the bike and halfway through them if you read them all...he responds with the answer " that he will buy the bike.".......after another whole bunch of negative posts he finaly decides we are right........if we all give the same advice and no one listens ....why even post on here.......you ask for an opinion and get it (overwhelmingly negative) and then do what you want anyway.......go figure....

JsWoRLd316
08-01-2005, 08:39 PM
OK, i talk to the owner of the bike today, but before i told him that i wasent interested i decided to ask him more questions. OK, i asked him when was the last time he did a general check on the bike, His answer was on june, he told me he replace the front, and rear wheel, wich was true because me and my father took a look at it and they were new, He said the mechanic told him the rear brake was old and needed to be replace, he did replace the rear brakes because me and my father checked. I asked anything wrong with the bike? He told me that everything on the bike was good the only problem was that it didnt have 2nd gear, I asked him what the problem was, He told me that The forks from 2nd gear were bent? i was like ok, he told me im not going to rip you off, i know the bike is good the only problem was that the bikes fairing was cracked because of the accident he had and the 2nd gear issue, other than that he told me the bike is good. He kept telling me, Bring a friend or an expereince mechanic who knows how to ride bike to test the bike out and make his desicion. I think i trust him. I know you guys are going to be mad at me because im not listening to you and not get the bike but i think he is honest.

How bad is the bent fork issue in 2nd gear?
How much would it cost me to repair it?
What is your view of the bike now?

One mistake i did was post this, with out finding out wants wrong with the bike, and im sorry.

Ride safe and please help me out that i do read your advices.

J

asp125
08-01-2005, 09:01 PM

....J

It still requires splitting the case. If the fork is bent don't be surprised if something else in there needs replacing too.. like gears and shafts (Bent fork... reminds me of the Progressive commercials). LOL.

Now that you know what's wrong, call a couple of shops/dealers and ask them how much to repair a transmission with a bent fork. Add that to the $700 and if you still think it's less than its blue book ~$1500 value, then decide if it's worth it. Personally I have no clue if $800 is going to cover a new transmission

christhisguy
08-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Hey Jsworld-

I'd like to second the observation about some folks being a bit snarky... and also would point to the ridiculous heat as a likely culprit. Two times when motorcycle communities tend to get frustrated: the peak of summer, when for many it's too hot to ride even in mesh (and tempers get short), and mid-winter, when the reverse is true and people miss riding. That said...

This latest info on the Katana worries me. Specifically the fact that both wheels were just replaced. Suggests the wheels were damaged. For the front, a natural guess is the rim suffered impact damage. For the back rim to be toast too? Let's just say I'd start wondering about frame damage as well, and you can't check that very easily on a fully-faired (covered in plastic) bike. Add in some of the earlier suggestions about why the gearbox is hosed (stunting?), and I'd say the replacement wheels would raise my suspicions more than put them at ease.

Not trying to be a downer. The fact that you have some trust for the seller is good, but just because he's a good guy doesn't mean much more than that. He can be perfectly nice and yet be perfectly oblivious to something like frame damage. If that bike was as trounced as I suspect, again, I'd be leaning toward :nono:

It's your money and your first bike experience. Good luck. We'll be here.

asp125
08-01-2005, 09:45 PM
For a first bike, it's better to spend a little more for a good bike in running condition, than it is to buy a basket case and fix somebody else's problems. Remember, people sell their used vehicles for two reasons. 1. They get tired of fixing the problems, 2. It's become a money pit for them.

If you have access to parts and are mechanically inclined, you might come across a gem in the rough now and then. There is some satisfaction to tearing something apart and putting it back together again. (Although somehow I always end up with a few extra pieces left over.) But by the time you are of that caliber, you probably won't be asking basic questions though.

Ask yourself, you wanna ride or you wanna wrench? Could be a good learning experience, either way.

Caveat Emptor!

MarcS
08-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Js...a bike with a bad shift fork has a good chance of having been seriously mistreated, especially given the awesome reputation the Katana/GSX motor line has.

Seriously, don't buy the bike. Don't even consider it. As a starter bike, you shouldn't take it if it were offered for free.

I really don't think you understand the consequences of your decisions. You REALLY should get an experienced adult involved, and actually LISTEN to them. The last thing anyone on this forum wants to hear about is how you botched a downshift from 3rd and flipped the bike on top of you. You're trying way too hard to justify what a lot of experienced people are telling you is a bad decision, probably because you JustGottaGetABike.

TorontoBoy
08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Abuse is the watchword here. Broken transmission, both bent wheels, cracked fairing. This bike has had a hard life. I'm suspecting the seller is not totally honest with you. Wheels need lots of force to break them, so I'm sure there's other collateral damage that you can't see. As stated the fairing and gas tank can easily hide a bent frame.

You're so not in any position to wrench this MC, so can you afford to pay someone $60/hr to look after your transmission? Because of the abuse you know about, there's probably more that will reach out and grab you. All used MCs have surprises for their new owners, but this one has the markings of a money pit. The owner wants to dump it because he sees a huge bill coming up to fix the trans and fairing.

Your $900 will quickly balloon up to $1,500 and might surpass it. And you might not get a bike that rides well. There will also be a huge delay in time as you wait for the trans to get fixed. Parts need to be ordered and then the work must be done. You'll lose a lot of this year's riding season for sure.

Look elsewhere for an MC that was treated gently and this will help your learning process. If you want to ride this year, this isn't the MC to do it.

sanglant
08-01-2005, 11:58 PM
OK, i talk to the owner of the bike today, but before i told him that i wasent interested i decided to ask him more questions. OK, i asked him when was the last time he did a general check on the bike, His answer was on june, he told me he replace the front, and rear wheel, wich was true because me and my father took a look at it and they were new, He said the mechanic told him the rear brake was old and needed to be replace, he did replace the rear brakes because me and my father checked. I asked anything wrong with the bike? He told me that everything on the bike was good the only problem was that it didnt have 2nd gear, I asked him what the problem was, He told me that The forks from 2nd gear were bent? i was like ok, he told me im not going to rip you off, i know the bike is good the only problem was that the bikes fairing was cracked because of the accident he had and the 2nd gear issue, other than that he told me the bike is good. He kept telling me, Bring a friend or an expereince mechanic who knows how to ride bike to test the bike out and make his desicion. I think i trust him. I know you guys are going to be mad at me because im not listening to you and not get the bike but i think he is honest.

One mistake i did was post this, with out finding out wants wrong with the bike, and im sorry.

J

Ok, THIS is the kind of "poop" that makes people "snarky."

How many times can you be told by half a dozen people to avoid this bike? You claim to value the advice, yet you spit on it by continuing to court this bike because you "feel in love" with it. That's the reason you take someone with you to see a bike, for an objective set of eyes, even if you've been riding and buying for years.

You want to know how much it will cost to repair it? Ask a dealer. Add up the what you're going to spend on the bike and see if it is still worth the costs. You want to know how bad the issue is? Ask the dealer, too.

You want to buy it, do it. I'm done.

Argo
08-02-2005, 01:08 AM
This is my opinion why would u want a katana in the first place there heavy and under powered for a sportbike but that dosnt matter cause its your first bike i would be worried about the weight of that badboy to and never mind one without second gear dont buy it please dont bye it it will save u alot of swearing.

MsPotatoPotatoHead
08-02-2005, 11:24 AM

J

1. Very bad
2. Too much
3. RUN AWAY FROM THIS BIKE!

The only circumstances under which you should take on this bike: it is free AND you are a certified motorcycle mechanic and have nothing better to do with your time. This bike has clearly been severely abused, not just wrecked. RUN AWAY!

I understand how it feels to be "in love" with a particular bike, but this is a machine that, if not perfectly functional, could cause your death. Do not take that chance! Find another bike - you may very well fall even more in love with something that is equally (or even more) suitable and is good running condition. When I was first looking for bikes, I literally fell in love with almost every single bike I sat on. They are all wonderful. Keep looking and you will find something else that is not a basket case and that will be much safer and much cheaper to get on the road.

Really!

Lezbert
08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Ok, THIS is the kind of "poop" that makes people "snarky."

How many times can you be told by half a dozen people to avoid this bike? You claim to value the advice, yet you spit on it by continuing to court this bike because you "feel in love" with it. That's the reason you take someone with you to see a bike, for an objective set of eyes, even if you've been riding and buying for years.

You want to know how much it will cost to repair it? Ask a dealer. Add up the what you're going to spend on the bike and see if it is still worth the costs. You want to know how bad the issue is? Ask the dealer, too.

You want to buy it, do it. I'm done.

I have to second this emotion. I'll back this up with a little story.

Years ago, my ex found out a friend of ours had an old Beetle. Suddenly my ex wanted an old Beetle. She looked online. She went to Bug shows. She talked to our friend, who kept mentioning what pains Beetles were and how pricey it could be to get one running. My ex realized she didn't actually have the money for the car, so she rationalized using money from our joint "house account" -- an account we had just in case the house needed unexpected repairs.

I was snarky when I said, "Fine. Do what you want with YOUR money." She took that as my approval. So I made her promise me she'd get any car checked out by our friend's Beetle mechanic. I felt a little better. Not long after that, a coworker of my ex mentioned a Beetle being sold by a friend's daughter. My ex wanted me to see it with her. I refused and suggested she instead take our friend who owned a Beetle. That friend wasn't available. My ex just couldn't wait, and went to look at the car anyway. I got a call a couple of hours later. She went ahead and bought it. I was floored. I told her, "You promised me you'd get it checked out by Friend's mechanic before you bought anything!" She replied with, "But it was ONLY $750, and they just put a new engine in it, and that alone is $1500! I know what I'm getting. I don't need a mechanic."

I was livid. The next day I had to drive her to pick up her car. It was a POS. The driver's side door didn't really open or close well. The headlights didn't work. The horn didn't really work (IOW, it couldn't even pass an inspection) And the worst part? As we drove home, I noticed that it drove a little sideways, so it obviously had some kind of frame damage. I never told her about the last part. I was so incredibly pissed, and after all, she did say "I know what I'm getting," so she must have known about that, right? Long story short: The car sat leaking oil on the driveway for God knows how long. As far as I know, it was never repaired before she was convinced to get rid of it. Then again, it was ONLY $750.

My point, and I do have one, is that it's easy to fall in love with something that is what you want AND seems so close to being yours. However, no matter how honest the seller seems to you and how little work appears to be needed to the bike in question, it can and most likely IS deceiving. I understand wanting to be "that guy" who got an incredible deal on an incredible bike. Be smart. Talk to mechanics and dealers as others have suggested. Even better, take a mechanic with you to look at it. I mean a REAL, professional bike mechanic, not a buddy/relative who owns a bike and wrenches on it once in a while. And for Chrissakes, LISTEN to them, whether they say "OK" or tell you to run away screaming from the bike.

TomStromie
08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Long story short: The car sat leaking oil on the driveway for God knows how long. As far as I know, it was never repaired before she was convinced to get rid of it. Then again, it was ONLY $750.

One question and one comment.

Did your ex get more or less than $750 for the car when she sold it?

I am much happier if I let my wife of 23+ years do whatever she wants.

Lezbert
08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
One question and one comment.

Did your ex get more or less than $750 for the car when she sold it?

I am much happier if I let my wife of 23+ years do whatever she wants.

I have NO idea what she got for it. We were just about in difference cities by the time that happened. Truth is, our relationship had a number of issues by that time, the major one was that my opinion was routinely disregarded. My nickname for the Bug was actually "The Last Straw." ;)

When the wife or S.O. doesn't disregard your opinion, likes or dislikes, it's no problem letting her have and do whatever she wants. My current relationship works so well, because we actually discuss things. When we don't agree, we find a way to compromise on something we both like. That way, we both always get what we want. And that's why I'm marrying her. But I digress. :mrgreen: Oh and sorry for the threadjack.

HotFix
08-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Amazing. I post, turn around, and look what happens. You guys are doing this to me because Subvet is out right?

This thread still has some good coming out of it - so locking it would be a loss. Let's stay on topic, try not to take it personally, and learn something.

JsWoRLd316, I feel for you dude. I know what it is like to want to start real bad. So much that you start rationalize things that otherwise wouldn't make sense.

I'm sure others can relate to this as well.

Chrystal
08-03-2005, 09:22 AM
JsWoRLd316, I feel for you dude. I know what it is like to want to start real bad. So much that you start rationalize things that otherwise wouldn't make sense.

I'm there with you too.

Thinking back at all the things I wanted to work out SO BAD, I just start chuckling to myself. And some things worse than a motorcycle....

jixaw
08-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Well....Jonathan....good luck to you...I know I have been the same way at times.....I am pretty handy though.....

keep this in mind...it will take a long time to get a bike that needs any wrenching on the road....you need to be riding.....and not be worrying if it is going to break on you....trust me...I went thru that and it sux

I know you are excited and want to get on the streets with a hot bike....I am glad you have been posting.....

Trust these folks here...granted..I think sometimes we get a lil' testy because we all hear the same things from different newbies over and over....I think we need to be a lil more sensitive to each case....

you'll get on the road soon...dont worry....get some gear 1st.....keep saving.....trust me...there is a good bike with your name on it around the corner.......

keep posting...and keep ur eyes open.....also...try and be a lil more open-minded about bike choices....just a lil bit....you'll be suprised at what you'll find if you do.....remember....this is your 1st bike and it wont be your last...

asp125
08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Soooo... JSWorld.. did you or did you not get the bike? Inquiring minds want to know?

JsWoRLd316
08-03-2005, 05:58 PM
NO, I took all of your advices and didnt get the bike, thanks to all of you who were good to me.

Ride Safe

asp125
08-03-2005, 06:01 PM
You won't be sorry. Find one that you can actually ride, instead of looking at parts and wishing you could ride.

MaxiScoot
08-03-2005, 06:40 PM
I had a '92 Honda VLX that had a second gear problem. I asked the dealer how much to fix it. $1500.00. That was three years ago. I'd bet the cost is more now.

Run, don't walk, away; unless of course you have the money. However, I'd spend it on a better bike.

Good luck!

Jawaguy
08-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Don't worry, we will be here when you find another bike, and if it is good we will let you know. We have all bought bikes at one time or another that almost made us broke and we were just worried that you might make the same mistake.
Good luck in your quest.

Vic

jixaw
08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
yeah man.....I'll help you....just send over what you think might be good and I'll tell you....I hope others wont be criticial....you are in the Big Apple?.....I'll look there

JsWoRLd316
08-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks alot guys, im so happy that i joined this web site before starting to ride. You guys are the best, THANKS TO ALL THE BB COMMUNITY.

ride safe

J

Zixxer10
08-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks alot guys, im so happy that i joined this web site before starting to ride. You guys are the best, THANKS TO ALL THE BB COMMUNITY.

ride safe

J

I had dropped this a while back and just saw it again. Js - I'm glad you "saw the light". And, no one actually got "snarky" enough to say, "Run Forrest, Run." like some other forums would have.