PDA

View Full Version : Photo Contest!!!

Derick
01-19-2005, 02:53 PM
I think now would be a good time for a little site competition... As you all probably have noticed by now, the site has undergone quite a few changes..for the better I hope. With that being said, I am going to start integrating a background image in one of the corners, I would prefer it be a motorcycle, but I just haven't played around with it yet. So here is a chance for you shutterbugs to get out your bikes, snap a few pics, and we'll go from there.

Contest Winner will get a prize, not something huge, probably a t-shirt.

Here's what I need: A picture of your bike, multiple angles would be great, on a neutral background. Sky is good, flat white garage door is good, forest is bad, city is bad, you get the idea. The background is going to be blended out, so that makes my job a lot easier. Plus, if you get close enough and narrow down your depth of field, you're going to get a more awesome picture anyhow.

Email your submissions, ALONG WITH YOUR USERNAME to content@beginnerbikers.org

Contest Ends ONE week from today, but it may be extended.

Game on!

Squirrel
01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Oh, dude! It's winter up here in Chicago... Maybe I can talk CasCat into bringing the bikes into our Livingrooom Studio ;)

Either that or clean out the garage enough to setup a backdrop...

Cheers!
Ken

Derick
01-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Winter schminter.. :P Actually, if you play your cards right, and shoot against the snow, that would be pretty wicked.

Squirrel
01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Winter schminter.. :P Actually, if you play your cards right, and shoot against the snow, that would be pretty wicked.

Remember, I'm just outside of Chicago... I don't think dirty snow is what you're looking for ;)

Hmmmm... My regular backdrop isn't big enough... maybe I have a large Canvas Dropcloth that can work.

Now I just need a volunteer to pose ;)

Cheers!
Ken

Lezbert
01-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Remember, I'm just outside of Chicago... I don't think dirty snow is what you're looking for ;)

I would say that, as long as it's not yellow snow, it won't be bad. :lol:

Shadow Shack
01-19-2005, 09:47 PM
You got mail

AntiNazi
01-19-2005, 09:52 PM
hmm, youll have to do this again in the summer so i can get in on it.

btw, who picks the winner? public vote?

Shadow Shack
01-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey Ken, I have an old camera similar to the one in your avatar...it's a Kodak Reflex I inherited from my grandfather. I heard a nasty rumor that Kodak is going to cease making film, if true where else can I get the 620 film from?

Derick
01-19-2005, 10:16 PM
hmm, youll have to do this again in the summer so i can get in on it.

btw, who picks the winner? public vote?

*I* get to pick the winner :mrgreen:

Well do it again in the summer time, I'll rotate in new images from time to time.

Squirrel
01-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey Ken, I have an old camera similar to the one in your avatar...it's a Kodak Reflex I inherited from my grandfather. I heard a nasty rumor that Kodak is going to cease making film, if true where else can I get the 620 film from?

Wow, I didn't realize 620 film was still available!

Although it is unlikely that Kodak will discontinue making film, it is always possible they will discontinue any specific type of film.

An interesting bit of information for you, 620 film and 120 film are the same thing, only different spools. Although you can respool it yourself, there are some 3rd party companies that respool film...

Although I've not worked with them, you can try:
http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=29

It looks like they are respooling fuji film.

Cheers!
Ken

Shadow Shack
01-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Cool, and they have it in B&W to boot! I've been eager to take this thing for a whirl since I got it.

Derick
01-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Isnt anyone else going to submit a picture!?!?!?!

asp125
01-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Wow, I didn't realize 620 film was still available!

Although it is unlikely that Kodak will discontinue making film, it is always possible they will discontinue any specific type of film.

An interesting bit of information for you, 620 film and 120 film are the same thing, only different spools. Although you can respool it yourself, there are some 3rd party companies that respool film...

Although I've not worked with them, you can try:
http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=29

It looks like they are respooling fuji film.

Cheers!
Ken

It's funny 'cause I have the same Rolliflex from my Dad. I don't know where he got it but it has a 35mm adaptor that lets me use off-the-shelf films.

Mer
01-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Isnt anyone else going to submit a picture!?!?!?! I'd love to. I've got a million pictures of my bike but none of them have a simple background. I will try to get some pics this weekend.

Squirrel
01-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Isnt anyone else going to submit a picture!?!?!?!

Sorry, it will be a couple more days until I can get my Studio moved to the garage... it's been packed full with construction material (We have a contractor finishing up a sunroom on the back of the house). I finally got back half the garage today... But don't wait for me... I'll shoot it when I get a chance... Besides, I really don't need any "goodies".

It's funny 'cause I have the same Rolliflex from my Dad. I don't know where he got it but it has a 35mm adaptor that lets me use off-the-shelf films.

My Rollei uses 120 film... freely available at all my local film stores... Although its interesting you have a 35mm back for it, I've never seen one for a TLR. They are available for Hassys, Mamiyas, Bronicas, etc...

Cheers!
Ken

**EDIT** Unless you have a "Mini-Rollei" which IIRC was designed to use 35mm film

x_cuesme
01-26-2005, 11:43 PM
If you're extending the 'entry' date to the weekend, I'll submit some pictures- but I need a little time!

(And a neutral background....hmmm....Does a waterfall count???)

Squelch
01-28-2005, 09:53 PM
I might try tomorrow, (29JAN05). I have a good yellow wall in my garage, or else, if it actually snows tonight, I might try taking a pic outside...

I'll take the pictures regardless - if not for this contest, maybe just for my own enjoyment!

asp125
01-29-2005, 12:59 AM
My Rollei uses 120 film... freely available at all my local film stores... Although its interesting you have a 35mm back for it, I've never seen one for a TLR. They are available for Hassys, Mamiyas, Bronicas, etc...

Cheers!
Ken

**EDIT** Unless you have a "Mini-Rollei" which IIRC was designed to use 35mm film

Well, that must be what it is then, outside is says Rolleiflex but inside it's stamped Rolleikin2. Fully how something that big is considered "mini", especially next to today's digicams. I'm still trying to learn how to use all those manual knobs and cranks on it; it's pretty neat being so retro.

-Jeff

Squirrel
01-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, that must be what it is then, outside is says Rolleiflex but inside it's stamped Rolleikin2. Fully how something that big is considered "mini", especially next to today's digicams. I'm still trying to learn how to use all those manual knobs and cranks on it; it's pretty neat being so retro.

-Jeff

Oh, its Rolleikin. I've never seen one of those. (actually, I'd never heard of it, until I just looked it up).

Yes, it's a full sized Rollei, with a 35mm adapter. If it were my Rolleiflex, I'd see if you can remove the Rolleikin adapter and go back to shooting 120 film. Medium Format film is AMAZING to shoot with.

I have 11X14 prints hanging in my living room that you can't see the grain even at nose distance.... actually, I often had problem printing MF smaller than 11X14.. my grain focuser in my darkroom didn't magnify enough to even SEE the grain if it was a smaller print.

Cheers!
Ken

Derick
01-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Ok, I extended it through the weekend as requested to 2/3...so if anyone else wants in, get those pics to me......the right picture would also be incorporated into fliers I create for local biker merchants to distribute.

Shadow Shack
02-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Was there a winner or extension on this?

Derick
02-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Yeah, sorry for the delay, just fixing up some loose ends from the move...but yes, Mer is the winner for this 1st photo contest. I figure we'll do it twice a season, so everyone can get some pics during the summer to submit.

She had an awesome picture of her VTX....
http://www.beginnerbikers.org/images/derick/vtx2.jpg

subvetSSN606
02-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Congratulations Mer! :)

Tom

Derick
02-05-2005, 12:24 AM
For her fantastic picture, Mer will receive a beginnerbikers.org Coffee Mug, Mouse Pad, and Magnet....

Mer
02-05-2005, 01:21 AM
I think I'm gonna cry......"sniff" Well...I am honored to accept this award and I'd like to thank all the little people who made this possible. :lol2:

Shadow Shack
02-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Congrats Mer.

Cindy
02-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Very nice picture Mer, congrats!

Cindy

Missy B
02-06-2005, 11:29 AM
I think I'm gonna cry......"sniff" Well...I am honored to accept this award and I'd like to thank all the little people who made this possible. :lol2:

:uhoh3: :loser:

RE: the picture :phatyo:

LOL Congrats, Mer!

southernspirit
02-07-2005, 02:32 PM
:heyyou: Congrats riding pardner!! Awesome pic even though it does only have "uno" carbs.... http://www.twtex.com/images/smiles/icon_crackup.gif

Mer
02-07-2005, 02:41 PM
:heyyou: Congrats riding pardner!! Awesome pic even though it does only have "uno" carbs.... http://www.twtex.com/images/smiles/icon_crackup.gif

It's got plenty of CC's though. How many YOU got?http://www.smileys.ws/sm/grinning/00000035.gif

southernspirit
02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
:heyyou: tot :smash:

li'lmamabiker
02-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Congrats Marianne! As I've said before, AWESOME bike! :woot: