PDA

View Full Version : tour master cortech raincover question

Harvey
07-26-2005, 05:24 PM
i just got back from a long trip out to california on my sv. since my right hand is giving me problems, i thought i'd tell some of my story piecemeal, to spare my writing hand's tender ligaments.

as i was riding from needles, ca to barstow, ca, i couldn't help but notice how incredibly freaking hot it was. i had my raingear and rain covers packed to the bottom of my tailbag, and i hadn't the slightest notion that i would need them. as i arrived at the midpoint between the two towns, at a small outpost called 'ludlow', a freak thunderstorm broke out.

what.

luckily, i was already at a convenient place to stop and put on my raincovers. with minimal difficulty i stretched covers over my tailbag, saddlebags, and tank bag. i felt no need to raincover my personal self, as i could see the daylight on both ends of the storm, and despite the downpour temps were in the high 80s.

the ride was exhilirating and treacherous. moderate crosswinds pelted me as i crossed the slab, but i knew that the storm wouldn't last too long, and the water falling from the sky was refreshment of the highest order. however, during the thick of this madness, i noticed my tank bag cover flapping, though i didn't think it would escape. i didn't feel so secure about the rear bag covers, though. during a quick lull in the storm i looked back and noticed i already lost two covers. the third cover was only sort of half on, and as I asked 'what are you waiting for' i saw it fly off. my saddlebag and tailbag covers are now part of the mojave desert. i hope they don't suffocate any endangered desert warblers or anything.

do you have the tour master cortech sport saddlebag and tailbags? if so, how do you keep the raincovers from flying off. i'd like to replace them, but if i'm just going to lose them again there is no point... thanks for the help. :smile:

MarcS
07-27-2005, 02:15 AM
My rain cover for my TourMaster TriBags has a cord that threads through the cover and can be tightened.

AntiElvis
07-27-2005, 07:43 AM
If the raincovers keep coming off, you might want to approach it differently... get some kayak bags from a sporting goods store and pack them, then put them in your bags. Your outerbags get wet, but the kayak bags will keep the contents dry if you close 'em properly. It makes it more difficult to get to things in the bags, but it will keep 'em dry.

I used 'em in my VStar's saddlebags. Stuff didn't get wet, even if the saddlebags were.

asp125
07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
OK here's one. On my latest trip we got rained on, by the bucketfuls. Riding from Aspen to Glenwood Springs, I was throwing up rooster tails. Anyway, the rain covers of my Fieldsheer Rio saddlebags come with a drawstring which I did tighten down. When the rain let up I pulled over to remove them, and a lot of water poured out - it looked like the SV peed itself.

Did I not put them on right? The easiest (obvious to me) way was to take the opening, and put it around the bags from the side ie towards the wheel, then cinch up the drawstring.

Harvey
07-27-2005, 11:53 AM
The Tour Master bags I have are made of a highly water-resistant material--like it has Scotchgard in it and a waterproof resin embedded in the fibers. Since the storm I rode through lasted about 15 minutes tops, there was practically no water penetration in my rear bags--and I had nothing water-sensitive in them anyway. I did use the raincover drawstrings, but I lost them anyway--if I were to get another set of TM raincovers I'd be sure to secure their leading edges to prevent them blowing off again. However, I'm thinking that durable nylon liner bags would be the way to go. They're surprisingly easy to find cheap, and if I accumulate too much stuff on a trip I can bungie them to the outside of my luggage. Thanks for the help guys. :chopper:

carpe_diem
08-07-2005, 04:45 PM
The Tour Master bags I have are made of a highly water-resistant material--like it has Scotchgard in it and a waterproof resin embedded in the fibers. Since the storm I rode through lasted about 15 minutes tops, there was practically no water penetration in my rear bags--and I had nothing water-sensitive in them anyway. I did use the raincover drawstrings, but I lost them anyway--if I were to get another set of TM raincovers I'd be sure to secure their leading edges to prevent them blowing off again. However, I'm thinking that durable nylon liner bags would be the way to go. They're surprisingly easy to find cheap, and if I accumulate too much stuff on a trip I can bungie them to the outside of my luggage. Thanks for the help guys. :chopper:

I have the Cortech Sport Bags for my SV650 and used them on a trip to Montreal and back....most of the return trip was in light to medium rain. I only used the cover on the tailbag and had no problem with it. (I installed directionals in my saddlebags, so putting the covers on would reduce my visibility...Instead i packedmy stuff inside a trash bad, then stuffed that in the saddlebags. Everything stayed dry...almost certain stuff would have been ok even without the garbage bags).

As far as securing the rain cover, I just put the cover on and made sure to pull the draw sting tight enough so that it closed over the bottom portion of the tailbag....there was no way for it to come off unless the locking mechanism on the drawstring broke.

Zixxer10
08-07-2005, 04:56 PM
as i was riding from needles, ca to barstow, ca, i couldn't help but notice how incredibly freaking hot it was. i had my raingear and rain covers packed to the bottom of my tailbag, and i hadn't the slightest notion that i would need them. as i arrived at the midpoint between the two towns, at a small outpost called 'ludlow', a freak thunderstorm broke out.

Barstow brings back old memories. I was stationed there in '64 to '66 when I was in the Marine Corps. Ludlow is on old route 66. It used to be a roller coaster ride going west into Daggett, which is just south of the base where I was stationed.