PDA

View Full Version : This might be a lot of work.

mudarra
04-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Here's what I am thinking.

A sticky for each ride report for all the major BBO rides. (BugBash, Potato Ranch, Deals, etc etc) Each sticky would contain links to all the separate ride report threads.

That way, for example, if I wanted to see all the reports and pics from a previous Bug Bash I could click that specific sticky, and then easily find all the threads containing those reports.

:thumbsup:

But like I said, It may be a lot of work to compile links to all the various ride report threads.

MsPotatoPotatoHead
04-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Me likey!!! At least once a year (or twice.....or five times) I like to go back and re-read all the Potato Ranch Rally threads.

Bugguts
04-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Oh that's a great idea. (Okay....it's not me that has to do all that work!)

asp125
04-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Search function:

"West Side Rally"
"Bug Bash"

etc?

mudarra
04-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Search function:

"West Side Rally"
"Bug Bash"

etc?

The search engine for this board stinks. (try searching - No Country for old men)
Three letter searches are a no-no. Bug bash V threads are listed as BBV BB-V Bug Bash V etc. Yeah, I could spend ALL day searching to find the few posts I am interested in.

Plus if you do get hits, it will include ride planning threads which isn't my main area of focus for this idea.

The main point is to combine threads that will appear in the Trip Chronicles category and in the Photos category.

mudarra
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
See what I mean?

Search: Keyword(s): Country, men

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: No, for, old

Bugguts
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
The search engine for this board stinks. (try searching - No Country for old men)
Three letter searches are a no-no. Bug bash V threads are listed as BBV BB-V Bug Bash V etc. Yeah, I could spend ALL day searching to find the few posts I am interested in.

Plus if you do get hits, it will include ride planning threads which isn't my main area of focus for this idea.

The main point is to combine threads that will appear in the Trip Chronicles category and in the Photos category.

Right!! I soooo agree with you!

asp125
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Or, I could find all related threads for one event, and using my mod superpowers.. merge them into one HUUUUGE thread....

Missy B
04-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Or, I could find all related threads for one event, and using my mod superpowers.. merge them into one HUUUUGE thread....

Remember what happened last time you tried using your mod merging superpowers?
:mrgreen:

asp125
04-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Remember what happened last time you tried using your mod merging superpowers?
:mrgreen:

Oh yeah... :oops: never mind...

mudarra
04-01-2009, 03:08 PM

That would work, then sticky it in the Chronicle group so they show up at the top.

OR

A separate group just for the super duper BBO group ride threads! :woot:

Derick
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Well...we could do a separate forum for annual events like bug bash and west side rally....but question is, do we need to drill down further like by year since there are a multitude of threads for the same event, for the same year. And with that, do we want to include just the ride report of said event, or those reports of people going to and fro the event?

subvetSSN606
04-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Maybe some time when I'm up and all caught up I could spend some time searching.

Then how about this...

I could make a new sticky thread titled "Bug Bash" or if you want to go with a separate "Annual Events" section we could still follow the following format...
The first post in that thread is a list of links to threads related to the first Bug Bash since BBO has been here. Bug Bash II? (I don't recall which one).
Next post is a list of links to threads related to next Bug Bash.

Then do the same for the Potato Ranch Rally and The Deal at Deal's?

Or if anyone else is impatient and wants to do the searching and make the threads in that format, the staff can then sticky them and edit for format? (And move to the new section if/when created)

How's that sound?

Tom

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 08:01 AM
I think a few stickies in the trip chronicles forum should be sufficient.......I can't see the need for a whole new forum.

Then again....I ain't in charge....

mudarra
04-02-2009, 09:11 AM
All of the ideas sound good to me, any one of them will make it easier to find these threads.

Derick
04-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Ok maybe we do this....official call here. We make subforums of the trip chronicles forum, and name them for each of the major events. From there, we make the threads with the year, and then within those threads, links to the existing threads to each of the events.

Opinions?

Who wants to be in charge of this detail?

asp125
04-02-2009, 09:26 AM
OK Boss, create the subforums, I can search for and link the threads in my spare time.

What rides are "major"? 1. Annual event, large BBO turnout, etc?

- D at DG
- Bug Bash
- Tater Ranch

others?

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Jeff, I'll jump in and help as much as I can, even though I don't have super duper moderator powers.....

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
That is, if you want the help????

Derick
04-02-2009, 09:49 AM
That sounds good. I'll make the changes for your smurf...thanks for the help.

asp125
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I will prolly need somebody to review the non-tater ranch threads to see which one's are applicable. There were some less obvious thread titles here and there.

mudarra
04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
What rides are "major"? 1. Annual event, large BBO turnout, etc?

- D at DG
- Bug Bash
- Tater Ranch

others?

Any annual recurring BBO event?

Derick
04-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Done and Done. At this time, MN_Smurf is a moderator of those forums.

Derick
04-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Any annual recurring BBO event?

That's my criteria....and we can add them as necessary.

Derick
04-02-2009, 10:03 AM
For those making these compilations, please make the host created thread (if there is one) first, and notate it as such...then non-host created threads below....such as I've done here;

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24460

Also, once the thread is created, close it. It will keep the thread from getting cluttered with random posts. You will be able to edit the thread whenever necessary.

mudarra
04-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weaver
04-02-2009, 10:05 AM
:woot:Nice format.

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Done and Done. At this time, MN_Smurf is a moderator of those forums.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, I wasn't thinking of going that far, but....:mrgreen:

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Derick, so are we going to move related threads to the sub-forums from where they are now, or just link to them in the sticky and use the sub-forum for future threads about a particular gathering?

Derick
04-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Just links. The chronicles section will still be places to put new threads, users cant actually post in these new forums anyhow.

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I see....no problem.

Bugguts
04-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks, all of you!

asp125
04-02-2009, 11:12 AM
There's probably at least 2 or 3 tater ranch threads each year. I'll take care of those first.

caeman
04-02-2009, 12:53 PM
What quantifies as an annual BBO ride? Any ride that has survived into its third year or more and attracts riders from (literally) across the USA. As opposed to my annual pilgrimage to Great Lake-Saint Mary to eat lunch, which is usually just me and one other rider.

mudarra
04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
What quantifies as an annual BBO ride? Any ride that has survived into its third year or more and attracts riders from (literally) across the USA. As opposed to my annual pilgrimage to Great Lake-Saint Mary to eat lunch, which is usually just me and one other rider.

A Formal BBO group ride/meet/rally etc that is an annual event. (has been repeated at least two years in a row)

Specifically any BBO event that attracts a large number of riders, that will usually result in dozens of chronicle and pic threads.

caeman
04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
This is pretty much a common sense thing.

mudarra
04-02-2009, 01:30 PM
This is pretty much a common sense thing.

Then why did you ask? :slap:

:crackup:

asp125
04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I think the ride must include at least a few BBO members to be included. Otherwise someone can write about their annual solo ride to Sturgis. I don't think that would be a BBO ride.

A ride could start one year, and then become eligible to be included. For instance if the Fried Pie or NEBBO event becomes annual.

Come to think of it what about that annual IMS in DC(?) thread or that mid-winter karting thread.. even though non-ride oriented they are BBO events.

caeman
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I didn't. Someone else did, first. I simply repeated the question and then answered, like the good tech support guy I am. :)

mudarra
04-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I think the ride must include at least a few BBO members to be included. Otherwise someone can write about their annual solo ride to Sturgis. I don't think that would be a BBO ride.

A ride could start one year, and then become eligible to be included. For instance if the Fried Pie or NEBBO event becomes annual.

Come to think of it what about that annual IMS in DC(?) thread or that mid-winter karting thread.. even though non-ride oriented they are BBO events.

The Fried Pie run isn't a formal event. It's an ad hoc thing that can easily happen once a month when the weather permits.
And Bill has included the FPR in several of the D@D events. Where we do the Dragon/Cherohala on one day, and then Bill's ride the next (or vice-versa). I think Bill has included the FPR in at least two of the D@D events.

mudarra
04-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Yes, include them too. The ATL IMS was an annual BBO event as well. Until it moved to Greenville. :nono2:

asp125
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Also, would the creator of the archive threads, please add a blurb about the event. Like I did for the tater ranch. .. How it got started, who the instigator(s) were etc.

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Also, would the creator of the archive threads, please add a blurb about the event. Like I did for the tater ranch. .. How it got started, who the instigator(s) were etc.

:confused:

The new sub-forums are up??? I can't see them if they are....

asp125
04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
:confused:

The new sub-forums are up??? I can't see them if they are....

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

You don't see 'em up top?

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Nope.....nada....

caeman
04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
The new sub-forums not visible to us normal folk.

Bugguts
04-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Ahhh...but Smurf is now endowed with special powers!!!!!!

Oh...crap! He's gonna sig line that part that says he's "endowed".

MN_Smurf
04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Smurf is endowed!!!!!!

Would I do something like that?????

:mrgreen: :crackup:

LoDownSinner
04-02-2009, 04:36 PM
The new sub-forums not visible to us normal folk.
Careful who you're callin' normal!

subvetSSN606
04-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Looks good folks!

Couple of questions...

Do you want to include links to the planning/announcement threads from upcoming events? I say yes.

Derick, I like the format, but do you mind if I edit yours to display the thread title rather than the url?

Tom

subvetSSN606
04-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Never mind, I made a command decision. ;)

The Bug Bash section is updated! If anyone stumbles across any threads I missed, please send me a PM with the link so I can update the list.

Tom

PS Do we want to include the Cabin Fever get together even though it's not a ride?

mudarra
04-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Never mind, I made a command decision. ;)

The Bug Bash section is updated! If anyone stumbles across any threads I missed, please send me a PM with the link so I can update the list.

Tom

PS Do we want to include the Cabin Fever get together even though it's not a ride?

Yes. I would also include any regular BBO IMS meets.

ACTUALLY - (another idea) - Do one IMS thread for a given year and then a seperate link to each city. If we have several BBO IMS meets. The ATL IMS is no more. :nono2:

asp125
04-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Looks good folks!

Couple of questions...

Do you want to include links to the planning/announcement threads from upcoming events? I say yes.

Derick, I like the format, but do you mind if I edit yours to display the thread title rather than the url?

Tom

Sometimes the planning threads are as entertaining to read as the actual event threads. I say yes, because someone thinking of attending an upcoming rally would be able to find information quickly this way. It's a moot point for past events but I think I'll link the 2009 Tater Ranch planning thread.

subvetSSN606
04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah... and in many cases there's some after ride posts in those threads too.

Tom

asp125
04-03-2009, 09:18 AM
So, have we fixed the visibility issue for the general population? Can y'all see it now?

mudarra
04-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Bugguts
04-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Big round of applause!!!! This is the best advertisement to get people excited about attending an event. Good job, all of you!!!

MsPotatoPotatoHead
04-03-2009, 12:08 PM

I think it's wonderful!!!

MsPotatoPotatoHead
04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I do want to point out, however, that the West Side get-togethers actually started in 2004, when Clair and hubby and I met in Moab for a long weekend. Unfortunately, that thread is lost as well, but I could post up some pics (and I bet Clair could too).

ETA: Thanks for clarifying, Super Moderator Asp!

Missy B
04-04-2009, 12:41 AM
The Deal @ Deal's Gap ones have been posted. Please let us know if we missed any, which is highly likely. I used the search function in a couple of different ways but....

And 2003-2005 only has the one thread where Java was lookin for some missing pics, so linked that one thread in those 3 years.

I :crackup: because most of them are all called D@DG IV, but didn't realize that til after I named 2008 that. LOL

Silly East Coasters. :mrgreen:

asp125
04-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks Missy!

Chench53
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Here's what I am thinking.

A sticky for each ride report for all the major BBO rides. (BugBash, Potato Ranch, Deals, etc etc) Each sticky would contain links to all the separate ride report threads.

That way, for example, if I wanted to see all the reports and pics from a previous Bug Bash I could click that specific sticky, and then easily find all the threads containing those reports.

But like I said, It may be a lot of work to compile links to all the various ride report threads.
I think we need to take a vote.....

Who is in favor of Larry taking care of this for all the rides.

All in favor :thumbsup:

All opposed... Speak up... louder.... Oh well, I hear no one....

So, Larry, it's unanimous!!! You are in charge of it!!:notworthy:woot:

LOL, I just saw this thread but it explains why I've come across other threads with links and don't know why.

Gerry