PDA

View Full Version : Chain cleaning a Vulcan 500????

JoeLansing
07-10-2005, 06:14 AM
Is there any easy way to clean a chain on one of these? I bought a lift, but the exaust is so low that I can't use it. I've seen some type of tubular lift that might work? Here's a neat looking thing called a Peg Lift http://www.peglift.com/KawMeanStreak03.JPG

Someone told me they make a special brush for chain cleaning. I'll have to call around to find on. Right now I just take off the chain cover, wipe it with a rag good, roll forward a bit, repeat. Then do the same again but instead of wiping I blast it with chain wax till it's kinda clean. It sure makes a mess. There's gotta be a better way? - Joe

sanglant
07-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Is there any easy way to clean a chain on one of these? I bought a lift, but the exaust is so low that I can't use it. I've seen some type of tubular lift that might work? Here's a neat looking thing called a Peg Lift http://www.peglift.com/KawMeanStreak03.JPG

Someone told me they make a special brush for chain cleaning. I'll have to call around to find on. Right now I just take off the chain cover, wipe it with a rag good, roll forward a bit, repeat. Then do the same again but instead of wiping I blast it with chain wax till it's kinda clean. It sure makes a mess. There's gotta be a better way? - Joe

Use any kind of lift that will work on your bike to get the tire off the ground, or a roll stand. You don't need a special brush, but what you're talking about is a grunge brush or its like. They work ok, but I like using a cloth rag. Spray the rag or chain with cleaner, and wipe the chain down. I use WD-40 as a cleaner and just spray the chain directly. It cleans the best, but it's messy and uses more product than just wetting the rag. Wipe the chain thoroughly, going over it a couple of times. I spin the rear tire and run the chain through the rag, holding it snuggly around the chain with my other hand. Then, use your wax/oil/cat entrails or whatever you want to lube with. Follow the directions for application that it gives. Some waxes don't like to be put on over WD-40 since it leaves an oily residue behind, so be warned if you decide to use it instead of kerosene or a dedicated cleaner.

One way to hold down the mess if a simple drop cloth. Put an old towel under the chain drip area and let it catch the run off. It won't help with the rims, but it will make the floor you're on happier. For rims, I just gave up on white ones and run a black set. :razz:

subvetSSN606
07-10-2005, 12:21 PM
I've heard of folks making a wood adapter for lifts so that you can lift by the frame and avoid the pipes, but that would only work if you have enough clearance to still get the lift along with the jig under the bike.

Tom

JoeLansing
07-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Has anyone tried one of these? Looks like a good idea. Just put your back tire on the rollers and spin away. And it even comes with free Pig Snot...:)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2010770/c-10111/Nty-1/p-2010770/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10111/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=Rollastand

- Joe

sanglant
07-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Has anyone tried one of these? Looks like a good idea. Just put your back tire on the rollers and spin away. And it even comes with free Pig Snot...:)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2010770/c-10111/Nty-1/p-2010770/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10111/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=Rollastand

- Joe

That's the roll stand I mentioned. They work fine for sport bikes and sport touring bike that I've seen them used with, and I've not heard any real complaint about the product itself. If that is what you need, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

IMO, I wouldn't buy one, though. The stand is $40, and is basically only useful for chain cleaning. For a another 20-30 dollars, you can buy a universal rear stand and lift the back of the bike. That will let you clean the chain, too, but it gives you all of the other maintenance advantages of a stand. With a universal stand, you don't need spools or other special items to lift. As long as your bike as a flat bottomed swingarm (and it isn't a single sider, like a VFR or 996/8 Ducati) for the pads to grip, it'll work. Some people are daunted by the idea of lifting up a bike on a rear stand by themselves. I don't have any problem doing it, and with a bit of practice, it's second nature to most users. Still, there is a possibility for an accident if you aren't careful, where the roll stand is nearly idiot proof. You'll have to pick which one suits you best.

JoeLansing
07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
SubvetSSN606 said:

I've heard of folks making a wood adapter for lifts so that you can lift by the frame and avoid the pipes, but that would only work if you have enough clearance to still get the lift along with the jig under the bike.

I did it. Roll the lift under the bike. Stack 3 3x4" pieces of 2x4 under the heavy metal just in front of the rear tire, then jack it up about 3". Works like a charm, and is fairly stable since it's only lifting about 2-3" and has the big old ATV jack under it. Thanks much sir!

- Joe