PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't motocross...

LoDownSinner
01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Back when I was a kid, we used to play around racing what we called motocross. It was fun. Riding over rolling hills with combinations of tight turns and fast swepers, with the occasional jump and the obligatory whoop-de-doos.

Motocross has changed in the 30 or so years since I used to do it. Now they have double- and even triple-jumps. I don't really have the need to jump a bike 20, 30 or even more feet in the air and sail tens of yards.

Check out one guy's account of what happened when he went to the local MX track...

http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36168&view=findpost&p=619249

asp125
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
LOL.. watching the supercross on Speed this weekend makes me think these guys spend more time in the air than on the ground. I'll stick to dragging knee kthxbye.

weaver
01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
It's not for me, but I do like going to see the pros do it in the GA Dome.

Jakezor
01-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Wow that text is small on this machine. I'm hoping for pictures of an open compound fracture ...

I got to run one short snocross race a few years back, not as bad pucker factor but it still beat me up!

Missy B
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
That is one of the most well written pieces I've read in awhile. I actually sat here at my desk, LOLing as I read it. Thanks for linking, LDS. :crackup:

Superwoody
01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
That was funny :woohoo3: I love the name he gave the bike....

ds5160
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I used to work with a guy who ended up taking 2 months off of work after a motorcross accident. He shattered one of his ankles and broke the other one in only two places. He had a few other minor injuries, but those were the worst. He took a big jump and his foot came off the peg when he landed.

Shadow3829
01-06-2009, 03:27 AM
A guy I used to work with wife was a nurse in the ER. They brought in extra staff when there was any motocross event at the arena.

twizted1
01-06-2009, 06:38 AM
I work with a bunch of motocrossers....needless to say I've seen/heard of more wrecks there than in any woods race!

LoDownSinner
01-06-2009, 06:53 AM
I finally started the bike, later to be named Satan...

I approached the jump in second gear. I managed to get a good run at it and I remember thinking, "A little extra speed cant hurt. Better to hit it too fast then too slow". I took my own advice and clicked into third and urged "Satan" to show me what he had. As I hit the face of the jump I realized that I was unfit to being giving anyone advice, even myself. Satan suddenly spread his leathery wings and we took flight. Thats when things began to go terribly wrong.

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing about this. :crackup:

Exaran
01-11-2009, 09:36 PM
:crackup: Thats quite possibly the funniest forum post I've read. Ever.

I'm sure it's a line by line description of how I'd feel trying it out too!