PDA

View Full Version : WAYYYYY of topic (plastic surgery)

sAm
06-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Anyone had any experience in this?

My wife wants to, and I would like to get her, a tummy tuck. She's not happy with the way she looks after having five kids.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/swankie1/Family/Family01_R.jpg

It's a dated picture, but you get the point (single plus two sets of twins).

She's 140#ish, 5'9 and looks great to me, but, well, you ladies will understand. Anyone been through this? good, bad? suggestions, advice? Anyway to tie this in to motorcycling 8-) ?

Just throwing this out there.

subvetSSN606
06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Anyone had any experience in this?
No but...

looks great to me
There I'm with you.

Sounds to me like you've already found the right answer...
"Honey you look great to me, so I sure don't need you to, but if it will make YOU feel better, I'm willing."

Good luck,
Tom

sAm
06-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Pretty much what I've been telling her. But she want's to look into it. So I say it's ok with me as long as they don't touch the boobs and face. Those stay au-natural. period.

Paduan
06-09-2005, 07:49 PM
The W is a surgical RN, who works at a private reconstructive clinic. They mostly do repair work, but occasionally do cosmetic stuff.

She says as long as your W is doing it just for herself, it's ok. And it won't have any long term effect on any self-worth issues.

AirForceTeach
06-10-2005, 06:49 AM
My wife lost 120lbs, so she had to have a tummy tuck to take care of excess skin. It's not a panacea in any way.

1) She's still not happy with how it looks. It's not magic, it will not give you a Courteney Cox tummy.

2) Almost all plastic surgery cuts/shocks some nerve endings. There is a 2" X 10" oval that I cannot touch. No. Never. Nien! This kind of feels wierd to her, and affects some pants and definitely some swimsuits.

PM me and I can get my wife in touch with your wife so she can talk. Maybe your wife can convince my wife to ride, then I won't have to sell the Seca!

Cindy
06-10-2005, 08:02 AM
No, I haven't had one, but I have several friends that have and have talked to them about it. Everyone of them said have they would do it again in a heartbeat. One said she only regretted one thing and that is that she waited so long to have it done. I was reading a pamphlet about it the other day and they were talking about repairing the muscles to prechildbirth days, I can't imagine any woman not wanting that. The pamplet also said that there could be numbness for about a year or so. Just make sure she goes to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Cindy

LoDownSinner
06-10-2005, 08:34 AM
I had plastic surgery. During an overenthusiastic sparring session in martial arts class many years ago, my left cheekbone got shattered. It was wired back together, and is reallly pretty unnoticeable.

If it makes her happy, and she's doing it for the right reasons, it's probably not a bad thing.

Although, I always get a mental image of the Surgeon General of Beverly Hills from Escape From L.A. when people talk about cosmetic or elective plastic surgery...

Chrystal
06-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Wow! 2 sets of twins and another child! And I'm sure she's a wonderful Mom too, right?!! Awesome!

It's not right that women don't feel good in thier own bodies. Come ON! She's probably BEAUTIFUL!

But, she wants it done and she's probably not going to change her mind.

Good luck with whatever she decides.

Beautiful children by the way -

Allan
06-10-2005, 09:44 AM
No but...

There I'm with you.

Sounds to me like you've already found the right answer...
"Honey you look great to me, so I sure don't need you to, but if it will make YOU feel better, I'm willing."

Good luck,
Tom
:werd:

Im not married or have any kids. But my opinion would be if she wants to do it feel better about herself and nobody else I woud not see see a problem with it, if she where my wife. My best advice, for what it is worth, is for her to go talk to a doctor about it.

Wolfie
06-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Wow, what a nice looking family, you folks hit the jackpot.

Minor Rant on
Being a cable channel surfer I have noticed a Huge increase in Cosmetic Surgery related shows. MTV, Discovery ( not just the Health one), Travel Channel, 'E!' I have not seen any on Speed..... yet. The medical establishment is sooooo big they can't handle regular preventive care, but BOY HOWDY give them a profit center like elective Cosmetic Plastic Surgery and there is no end to the ads and benefits.
I know plastic surgery has helped a lot of people have a better life.
I do have a bit of an issue with telling people their lives will be Better if they 'tune up' their look.
There was a big deal on the Today show last week about some woman getting a 'minimally invasive' tummy tuck Live On TV. I had to laugh at this woman. She was all worried about not having the female equiv of washboard abs after all kinds of work outs. The Dr. asked if she had any concerns, her question was that she was planning on having kids in the near future and would the proceedure have an affect on her ability to have kids. Not that having kids might reverse the proceedure a little. ;-).
Selling surgery like a spa treatment is making a big stretch.
Surgery is still a big mix of art and science.
Its seldom totally routine, and every patient is different in their reaction to the proceedures and drugs involved.
To their benefit , some of the shows I have seen related to cosmetic plastic surgery have shown all sides. Not just the rosey positive outcomes.
The advertisers try and fill peoples heads with FUD about themselves and then provide a fix, a new car, house, phone, ringtone, boobs, nose or whatever.
/minor rant off

mark.

Triumph
06-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I've never seen a marathon runner with excess tummy skin...

sAm
06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Just to give ya-all a frame of reference:

This is what pregnant with twin's looks like at 5 1/2 months

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/swankie1/Family/Marcy_5_Half_Mo_r.jpg

Ladies (loosely speaking) would walk up to her and ask how much over her due date she was!

Both occations they were born at 34 weeks, about 8 months (both C-Sections). Believe me, she was HUGE! Do this a couple of times, and anyone would get a ponch. It's not that she expects her 18 yo figure back, she know's that's not going to happen. She just want's to fix up the damage a bit. Believe me, she's realistic (except when she said "yes" and got stuck with me :thumbsup: )

Thanks for the feedback. I'm worried about the aftermath. I see all those shows with people jumping around what seems like the next day after surgery and it doesn't seem real. I wanted to get some real-world feeback as to what it's all about, pain, what can go wrong, and if people were happy about going through it afterwards. It also gives me more information so I can formulate a good list of questions to ask doctors when I go check out some clinics.

If anyone else would like to chime in, please do so, I'm still here and listening. Good, bad or whatever.

As for convincing other wive's to ride, forget it. It took me a year to convince her to let me ride. If she talk's to anyone else's wife, they'll end up putting it out front with a "for free" sign on it :nofinger: (I think it has to do with my highside incident)

Kathlene
06-13-2005, 10:19 PM
My sister got a full TT, I went with her and have lots of information I can share with you about finding a surgeon, etc. Have her email me if you like.

christhisguy
06-16-2005, 12:02 PM
2) Almost all plastic surgery cuts/shocks some nerve endings. There is a 2" X 10" oval that I cannot touch. No. Never. Nien! This kind of feels wierd to her, and affects some pants and definitely some swimsuits.
I'll back that up. Had major jaw surgery ~15 years ago, and I have a permanent(?) half-numbness on part of the left side of my chin, probably ~2" square. That's just from a nerve being "bruised".
:werd:

Its seldom totally routine, and every patient is different in their reaction to the proceedures and drugs involved.
Also true. My wife had major abdominal surgery last summer, and was in SERIOUS pain for the first day of recovery. I was going bonkers. Got her on an epidural and she went from sobbing in pain to doing alright. Finally they realized she was having an "atypical" (thanks Sherlock) reaction to the morphine*.

[* It's very rare for morphine not to work as it should.]

Not trying to scare anyone, just sharing experience. Best of luck to you and your wife sAm, however it goes.