PDA

View Full Version : Just bought new tires and have some questions

Greg
06-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey guys and gals

I just picked up my new tires and I am now looking for a place to get them installed.

The tires are Metzeler's ME880 Marathon and was wondering if they need to be balanced or not. One of the local shops wants to ding me $9 a tire to balance. I thought I heard somewhere that balancing may or may not be needed with certain tires. Anyone have any insight on this?

Also are there any steps to take once new tires are installed? Scuffing or anything?

Thanks all

Greg

midknyte
06-06-2005, 12:43 PM
No advice on the installing part - but do take it easy for a hundred miles or so, and very easy for the first few until the Molding release compund (is that the right term?) has had a chance to wear off.

Greg
06-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Not sure what the molding release compound is. I will keep looking for info. Thanks for the advice though.

the_rog
06-06-2005, 01:01 PM
They will need to be balanced. Any shop worth going patronizing will balance the tires as part of mounting them on the rims. Molding release compound is applied to the tires mold before the tires material is applied to the mold. It makes removing the tire from the mold easier. It's kinda like spraying pam into a frying pan before throwing in the omlet. The issue with that stuff is that it makes the tires slick for the first 100 or so miles. The compound on the center of the tread will wear down faster than the compound on the sides because we spend more time riding upright than we do turning. Take it especially easy in corners.

asp125
06-06-2005, 01:13 PM
For the first 100 miles or so, ride conservatively, as if in the rain. By then the tires will be scuffed. In the corners remember as you increase the lean angle, it exposes fresh rubber to the pavement. So even if the centers are scuffed in, the edges may still be fresh.

MarcS
06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Several modern tire manufacturers have stated that there is no longer a mold release agent on the tires. But the mold-slick rubber *does* have less traction than the abraded stuff -- especially in the wet or with poor road conditions -- the abrasions/microscopic surface irregularities break through films, increase the average road:tire surface area and provide much of the traction. Racers with new tires will do a lap or two around the track, gradually increasing their speed and lean angle, and will go all out after that.

Do get them balanced. It's not just the tires themselves that need the balancing -- it's the rotors/rim/&c assembly that gets out of balance, as well. Out-of-balance wheels can create a handling hazard. You'll also want to make sure they put a new valve core in.

http://www.xs11.com/faq/tirefaq.shtml

Greg
06-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Good link and good info. Thanks all

I will get a shop to install and balance the tires. It makes sense to balance them but I wanted to confirm a couple things I heard.

Thanks folks

Ride safe.

Greg
06-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Well the tires are now on the bike along with a new RK chain. I took it very easy coming from the shop and will do so for the next while as well.

Thanks for the info guys. Always appreciated.

Paduan
06-07-2005, 01:35 PM
A handy way to get rid of the release compound:

Ride a few miles in some soft gravel or dirt.

The release compound will stick to the dirt and be thrown/washed off quickly.

Greg
06-07-2005, 03:10 PM
A handy way to get rid of the release compound:

Ride a few miles in some soft gravel or dirt.

The release compound will stick to the dirt and be thrown/washed off quickly.

Good idea. There is a stretch on the way home that could do the job. I will bear that in mind.

Thanks

midknyte
06-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I've heard that washing them down with dish soap will solve also.
Dunno if there is a magic brand o soap though...

Greg
06-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey all

Took an extra extra long ride home on all sorts of mixed terrain. Drove pretty mild and even found some gravel roads to take. Loose gravel which sucks (feels like marbles)

Still going to take it easier than normal for the next 80 clicks or so to make sure the compound is off. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Greg

Regnaston
06-08-2005, 07:17 PM
So you got the new tires on her. Did it cost you alot??

BTW you still coming up here the weekend of the 18th?

Dale

Greg
06-09-2005, 10:01 AM
So you got the new tires on her. Did it cost you alot??

BTW you still coming up here the weekend of the 18th?

Dale

Hey Dale

Yeah I am thinking of doing that especially now that I have the new tires and chain. Sara's Dad's B-day party was swapped to the Sunday but I might still show up at your place to do some touring on the Saturday. I might be *cough* sick on Friday and I can head to your place then. Assuming that is cool with your and yours.

As for cost, it cost me more than you since I had to have it done at a bike shop. I wish I new of a private mechanic in my area.

Mind you, the price I saved on the cost of the tires more than paid for them being changed.

Take care

Regnaston
06-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Coming up Friday is no problem. I have a youth thing from 7:00 to 9:30 but that is all I have planned.

Yeah the guy that did mine was cheap, and although he does not have a balanacing machine, you can do that manually . You spin the tire and mark where the bottom is when it stops, spin again and mark again, do this several times, if the tire is stopping on the same side all the time then you put a weight on the opposite side, both my tires never landed on the same side so they were good.

Dale