PDA

View Full Version : Need gloves.

TeknoGTI
05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi all, I just found out that I need to supplie my own set of gloves while taking the MSF tonight. I havent really done any research on gear including gloves, helmet, jackets and pants. :scratch:

But I was curious to know if there are any manufactures i should stay away from. :scratch: I would like to purchase a good quality set of gloves that will last me for a good while. I really dont know what else to ask but I anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Regnaston
05-26-2005, 01:55 PM
I bought some gloves at www.jafrum.com and their quality is excellent and their prices are excellent too. Check them out.

Dale

asp125
05-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Look for something with full finger coverage, good palm armor (>1 layer of leather), knuckle protection, comes down past the wrist, and fits comfortably. Don't get something that bunches up in the palm when you make like grabbing a handlebar. Other than that it's style, color, and features. For MSF a good pair of work gloves will be fine - as long as they aren't too loose and bulky.

speeddemon
05-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Don't mean to start a brand-bashing thread...but I personally would avoid Joe Rocket gloves. I have read many many stories of them ripping open in a crash. But yeah, leather work gloves will cover you for the class.

Chrystal
05-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I really love my Teknic gloves. Had em for years and they are worth every penny.

FAF
05-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Well, if MSF is tonight, you can go with just about any full-fingered glove you might find lying around the house and they'll let you ride. Really, gardening gloves, winter gloves, driving gloves...whatever. When you're not in the class, though, and want actual MC gloves, I've been pretty happy with my FirstGear gloves and even my Joe Rockets, though I haven't crash-tested either. Haven't yet had a bad experience with MC specific gloves, so I'm afraid I can't tell you what didn't work.

Enjoy the class! It's awesome :)

FAF

TeknoGTI
05-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, if MSF is tonight, you can go with just about any full-fingered glove you might find lying around the house and they'll let you ride. Really, gardening gloves, winter gloves, driving gloves...whatever.....
FAF

:wiggleit: <---i like that guy. :razz:

Unfortunatly, i do not have a set of gloves, i live in florida, so no winter here. :werd: the only set of gloves i have is a set of yellow rubber cleaning gloves. dont think that will work. :uhh: Thanks for everyone input, I will go check out some gloves at the cycle shop and go with what fits, is leather and has palm protection.

anthony
05-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't discount Joe Rocket completely, but I'd stay away from their Phoenix gloves. I've heard several accounts of the gloves ripping under normal use, and the pair I bought ripped too. I imagine their race gloves are pretty durable, though.

sanglant
05-26-2005, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't buy just whatever the cycle shop has on hand. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's or where ever and get a pair of leather gardening gloves. They'll be fine for the course (even offering somewhat fair protection at the low speeds you'll see), and they're cheap.

After that, what style of glove do you want, and how much can you spend? I have a pair of Violator Pro's from Teknic that I like, and a pair of Speedmasters from Joe Rocket that I wear all the time. They're good, mid-line sport gloves, and go for about $100 a pair from Newenough.com or Kneedraggers.com. If you want better gloves, they're out there, too, and Held's top line products are wonderful, but price out in the $180-200 range.

About Joe Rocket products: I've seen some pretty crappy gear turned out by them, but it was all low budget stuff that failed or was uncomfortable. Speedmasters that I've seen crashed in have held up very well, along with a couple of their full leather suits.

Personally, I would buy the garden gloves for the MSF, then order several pairs from Newenough, try them on, and send back the ones you don't like. Paul has no problem letting you do that, as long as you don't mangle the packaging or fall outs (in other words, just like you would try them on in a store). It will cost you a little in return shipping, but you'll get a good glove that fits well, and it will still be cheaper than buying at a retailer, especially after taxes.

LordSmoke
05-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I guess it is too late to help, but I unless you are ready to drop some serious $$$ on motorcycle-specific gloves, I'd drop by Home Depot. They have some pretty stylish, medium-to-heavy duty gloves for half what comparable moto gloves cost. If I didn't already have some FirstGear gloves and wasn't ready for Lee Parks or Helms, I'd go that route.

TeknoGTI
05-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, ill buy something cheap and then once i have bike buy a pair of cycle gloves. Thanks again.

FzSHFT
05-27-2005, 01:59 PM
That is what I did... i didn't do the home depot thing. Went down to the bike shop and picked up the $25 ICON gloves. There are great for nice weather riding.

Not much protection but it is where it needs to be unless you are planning on crash at an illegal speed...

asp125
05-27-2005, 02:29 PM
When I needed gloves I used a pair of Mechanix gloves, still use 'em for working on the bike.

Slavik
06-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, ill buy something cheap and then once i have bike buy a pair of cycle gloves. Thanks again.

check out the closeout section in newenough.com.....$45 bucks buys you a great pair of gloves

TorontoBoy
06-13-2005, 09:32 PM
I've been trying to cut down on vibrations I feel, so I've been using a gel cycling half glove under riding gloves. It'd be nice if they had both together.

No leather gloves around the house? Do the Depot and drop $15 for some lambskin. They feel really nice and will protect you.

Greg
06-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Already been solid suggestions for your class, but when you want to get real MC gloves, I have no complaints about my Teknics. Full leather and kevlar with extra padding and protection where you most likely need it.