PDA

View Full Version : Considering all the crashes this spring

Mike_B
05-25-2005, 09:15 AM
I came across this article http://tinyurl.com/q5wz and thought it made a good read for anybody wanting to up their awarness on the road.

Greg
05-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Great article. Thanks for posting it.

I could imagine hitting a dog, but a dog falling on me? That would not be foreseen even by the amazing kreskin...

Atkins
05-25-2005, 11:06 AM
I liked this line:

As the farmer said when his mule died, "It never did that before."

FzSHFT
05-25-2005, 11:40 AM
I liked this line:

That must be a made up quote... Farmers don not say "did", they use "done". And of course you they would add the ever-popular "ain't" to any negative reference. AND the fact that I think someone removed a few letters from the farmers' alphabet... thus a REAL farmer would say, " It ain't never done that afore."

ya' hea...

Wookie
05-25-2005, 11:44 AM
" It ain't never done that afore."

Having lived in Oklahoma for 8 years, I think you are still giving a bit too much credit to their linguistic abilities.

It should read "ain't never dun that fore" :razz:

BTW: very interesting article. Makes you wonder what's around the next corner :uhh:

FzSHFT
05-25-2005, 11:55 AM
It should read "ain't never dun that fore" :razz:

Nope... difference atween farmer talk and redneck..... heeereee's your sign....

LOL... Now I don't care who you are, that's funy sh!t right there...

LoDownSinner
05-25-2005, 12:01 PM
I think the author did an excellent job pointing out the differences between an accident and a crash.

Dog falling off an overpass: accident.

Just about everything else he mentioned: crash.

MikeInSLC
05-25-2005, 12:02 PM
BTW: very interesting article. Makes you wonder what's around the next corner :uhh:

Also makes you wonder what deity of choice this guy pissed off to attract so much trouble...granted, 40 years is a long riding career, and stuff happens, but sheesh....

GRYDE001
05-25-2005, 12:08 PM
That must be a made up quote... Farmers don not say "did", they use "done". And of course you they would add the ever-popular "ain't" to any negative reference. AND the fact that I think someone removed a few letters from the farmers' alphabet... thus a REAL farmer would say, " It ain't never done that afore."

ya' hea...

Sooooooo, only your dialect is correct? How about "yoose guys" ? I use the word ain't all the time, everyone in the south does. That doesn't make us any less intelligent. BTW, ain't is now in the dictionary.

Wookie
05-25-2005, 12:15 PM
ain't is now in the dictionary

That just ain't right... :wiggleit:

FzSHFT
05-25-2005, 12:39 PM
That just ain't right... :wiggleit:

Say it ain't soooo

Although, if newbies read this article they may be turned off to riding... I realize its only informational but....

FAF
05-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Although, if newbies read this article they may be turned off to riding... I realize its only informational but....

Perhaps...but the article does help try to figure out some risks you have to decide to accept and manage if you're going to ride, right? I'll grant the risks mentioned are fairly unusual ones, but they're still part of what we have to be ready to handle every time we throw a leg over. And being ready to handle those things is the point I think the (extremely unfortunate!) author was trying to get across.

FAF

asp125
05-25-2005, 02:35 PM
On a related note, I guess this falls into the category of accidents:
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3387272

LoDownSinner
05-25-2005, 02:44 PM
On a related note, I guess this falls into the category of accidents:
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3387272
Yep. Lightning, raining cats and dogs (literally), meteorites, blue ice, etc., are accidents.

Running off the road, hitting another vehicle, being struck by another vehicle, highs-sides, low-sides, tankslappers, etc., are crashes.

Deer? Hmmmm... Depends...

Mike_B
05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I guess when you get right down to it, all a farmer really needed to say was "Giddy up" and "whoa". Unless he had oxen, then it would be "Gee" and "ha". :)

Mike_B
05-25-2005, 03:03 PM
I found the article while I was looking for stuff about lightning strikes. I shouldn't be a surprise, but quite a few riders are struck and killed by lightning each year. Cages have the big advantage-lightning hits the top, runs down the sides and jumps to the ground off the frame. We don't have that luxury-lightning hits you in the head, runs down your body (down the outside of the jacket and pants if you're lucky) and jumps to ground off your boots. Ouch

94Vgo535Chick
05-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Many of the articles on the site arent bad. I have read many of the articles in the street survival section.

Regnaston
05-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Nice read .. Thanks for the link

subvetSSN606
05-25-2005, 06:46 PM
The more alert you are, the better prepared you are to deal with almost anything the world throws at you. Sometimes the world wins, but I'd rather give myself my best shot at winning by being prepared.

Real world example of a friend of mine who was seriously injured in this one...

He was riding down the road and saw a vehicle backing down a steep driveway towards the road. He made the natural assumption that the vehicle would stop at the end of the driveway. It didn't and he got t-boned.

If he had been just a little more alert and attentive to details HE WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT THERE WASN'T ANYBODY IN THE VEHICLE! Guaranteed there would have been no crash if he had noticed that.

Tom

Ash
05-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I guess when you get right down to it, all a farmer really needed to say was "Giddy up" and "whoa". Unless he had oxen, then it would be "Gee" and "ha". :)

Actually driving drafts & mules "Gee" is right turn "Haw" is Left.