PDA

View Full Version : 250 Rebel Chop mock-up pics

Shadow Shack
05-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Here's the mock pics of my 250 Rebel chopper project, dubbed "the Nifty 250". It looks like I'll be going with what was projected from the math, 7" over forks...in order to maintain the stock frame height anyways.

http://pages.prodigy.net/shadowshack/_uimages/Rebelgroundpounder.jpg
w/stock forks: ground pounder! Considering that the exhaust mounts below the frame, this isn't very feasible. Not to mention the forward lean stance of the frame is a braking disaster waiting to happen.

http://pages.prodigy.net/shadowshack/_uimages/chopmock.jpg
Mock-up pic. Gap between fork tubes and upper tree is the 7" (actual measurement of 6" but taking weight and compression into consideration, and it's always better to have more than not enough, I'm going with the projected 7" over) that was originally estimated and calculated when I had the frame mods done. The cinder block has the frame poised at the same height as an unladen 250, measurements that were taken from my wife's stock 96 Rebel.

http://pages.prodigy.net/shadowshack/_uimages/Rebelchopmock.jpg
Herr Ch÷pperb´lder

http://pages.prodigy.net/shadowshack/_uimages/fishtails.jpg
Upswept Fishtails...memory trip from VgoChick in the other thread!

One obstacle out of the two I had anticipated popped up though. The upper tree contacts the tank at full lock turns. This is better than the other issue of the pullback risers hitting the tank, since I'm trying to keep the budget at $1000 it's free to grind away at the tree versus springing for new risers!

LoDownSinner
05-13-2005, 06:52 AM
Could you make the stops engage earlier, rather than grind the trees? 7" isn't a LOT over, but having less turn before hitting full-lock could make it less prone to 'flop' at low speeds.

Shadow Shack
05-13-2005, 02:41 PM
It's not that much difference so I won't have to grind much off the tree. Just a hair, that's all the space there is between the stops when it hits the tank.

In addition to the 7" over, future plans much further down the road and well beyond my $1000 budget include a taller front wheel/tire. But for now, the $1000 total budget is set to get the thing rideable.

AS it stands, with 7" over forks the final trail dimension should end up at just over 8", like my red bike used to be before I added the raked trees, so I'm already used to that end of the handling. This time it'll be at 2/3 the weight though LOL

94Vgo535Chick
05-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Could you make the stops engage earlier, rather than grind the trees? 7" isn't a LOT over, but having less turn before hitting full-lock could make it less prone to 'flop' at low speeds.

We have to deal with the same issue LowDownSinner. The bars are very close to the tank at full lock. I think Hs plan is to add to the lock at the neck.

The bike looks good Shadow Shack its coming along nicely. :thumbsup: I liked the fishtails too. What ya got in mind for exhaust? Have you found the fork tubes that will are long enough? It looks like your having to much fun though!

Lisa

Shadow Shack
05-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks Vgo. I'm sticking with the fishtails. Still researching the various baffles I can slide into them though. Thinking about springing for the Khrome Werks HP-Plus baffles...I have a line on several sources for the tubes. Most likely I'll go with Frank, but I just hate dealing with the COD only delivery end. I can't keep cash in my pockets that long LOL!

94Vgo535Chick
05-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Shadow Shack
H bought baffles from Jireh cycles for the Honda he is building. We made exhaust out of motorcycle and auto exhaust parts. I dont think they were all that expensive and pretty fast shipping. It has a small screw on the side of the baffle to attach it to the pipe.

Its a good idea to order the fork tubes from franks forks. No fuss and exactly what you need. Are you going to use the same lower legs?

Take care
Lisa

Shadow Shack
05-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Yep, sticking with the stock lowers. I may have them plated while they're off...my other two chops both have "Frank Forks" on them so odds are good that history will repeat.