PDA

View Full Version : School, anyone?

LoDownSinner
12-31-2007, 07:55 AM
For years I've said that it's my belief that people should learn traction management and how to deal with limited traction situations on small, light dirt bikes. Obviously, several former world champions agree.

Cornerspeed's Cornerspin (http://www.cornerspeed.net/spin.html) school!

Full brochure (http://www.cornerspeed.net/pdf%20files/Cornerspinsnapshot.pdf).

It's $500 if you use one of their bikes, $400 on your own bike, but IMHO would be well worth it.

I'm seriously thinking about trying to take the class some time this year.

Anyone else interested? Maybe we could get a group discount if enough people want to do it. Class size is 6-8, with 6 rental bikes available. How cool would it be to book a whole class with BBOers?

SoCal LabRat
12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Looks like tons o'fun, but I'd need to take a regular dirt class first before I ever tried to race on it.

Missy B
12-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Teri, it actually says people who haven't had dirt bike experience do better than those who've had it. It's a road course taught on dirt, so you need a new excuse. :mrgreen:

The start of my excuse: is it only in NC?

SoCal LabRat
12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
New excuse? I got a million of 'em...

Biggest reason is I'm not interested in going fast. Heck, I haven't even gotten up past 90 on a regular motorcycle yet. :twisted:

Next biggest reason is, I got no guts. I'm way too cautious in how I approach riding. Would need to loosen up a whole lot, and I just don't see that happening.

But, hmmm...it IS in NC...

Overcaffeinated
12-31-2007, 12:34 PM
So how much experience on a street motorcycle would you consider necessary for something like this?

doctor_al
12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
I clicked on the link to see "how light is light and how small is small?" I'm guessing my TTR would qualify as "big and heavy" by comparison. But I would totally love to do something like this. Long commute from MN tho.

Logan
12-31-2007, 01:12 PM
So how much experience on a street motorcycle would you consider necessary for something like this?

I'm guessing that you'd need the basic competencies: starting, stopping, turning. BRC or equivelent and some additional street and/or lot practice.

IMHO, a basic core competency, along with the appropriate self-confidence is needed. They say you will push the limits of both the bike, and yourself, so I would say one needs to be over the fear of the bike.

That's one more riding course for me to add to the list of I'd really like to try that... :thumbsup:

My first bike was a CL100 that I rode for ~3 years. Even though it was on the streets & highways of the urbanopolis of Chicago, I believe that pushing it on a small light low-powered bike for so long made me much better rider than I might of otherwise been. :biker:

LoDownSinner
12-31-2007, 03:45 PM
I clicked on the link to see "how light is light and how small is small?" I'm guessing my TTR would qualify as "big and heavy" by comparison.
150cc or smaller.

LoDownSinner
12-31-2007, 03:48 PM
The start of my excuse: is it only in NC?
Southwest Airlines.

Next excuse?

LoDownSinner
12-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Biggest reason is I'm not interested in going fast. Heck, I haven't even gotten up past 90 on a regular motorcycle yet. :twisted:

Next biggest reason is, I got no guts. I'm way too cautious in how I approach riding. Would need to loosen up a whole lot, and I just don't see that happening.

But, hmmm...it IS in NC...
Fast isn't in the vocabulary of a 100cc dirt bike. It's not about speed, it's about control of the motorcycle in limited traction situations.

If you're truly cautious, then you should want to equip yourself with as much skill as possible.
:thumbsup:

LoDownSinner
12-31-2007, 03:53 PM
A thousand miles or so should probably be sufficient.

LoDownSinner
12-31-2007, 03:55 PM
I believe that pushing it on a small light low-powered bike for so long made me much better rider than I might of otherwise been. :biker:
Egg Zachary!!!

Missy B
12-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Southwest Airlines.

Next excuse?

You must get better RC pay than me. :mrgreen: :crackup:

Between sending me links for race ready bikes and race schools on your side of the States, I'm surprised you haven't sent real estate listings for over there, too. :mrgreen:

You. are. evil.

EDIT: ...just ran across the scooter ad. At least that one's local. :crackup:

Missy B
12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
PS Does recommending this school have anything to do with the lame skillz displayed in our recent dirt/riding reports??

:mrgreen:

LoDownSinner
12-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Nope. Has to do with my lame results roadracing last season.

SKnight
12-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Looks like a blast. There's a guy that teaches a cornerspeed school at RRR (I don't know if he's affiliated or not.) that is amazing. The track record is a 1:12.16 on the 2.02 mile course, advanced riders hang in the 1:16-1:25 bracket, intermediates hang 1:25-1:40 or so, at least according to timing at my track day. This guy will clear tape his brake light and let you watch him never hit the brakes on his way to 1:20-1:25 laps. Ever since I've been captivated with getting my cornerspeed up.

I may be up for this, any idea when?