PDA

View Full Version : Choices to make

Magamus
05-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Hello all! I'm a brand new rider, fresh out of the MSP class. I have been looking at 2 different kind of motorcycles now: the Suzuki GS500 and the Ninja 500R. I'm 5'10 and 220lbs, so that's about the right seize engine to be looking at correct?

Price is a factor, so the Ninja is looking like the better choice at the moment, but since I haven't ridden either, can anyone give me any advice on how they handle? Which one is the better motorcycle for the beginner?

PS I'm in the San Francisco bay area and from what I've looked at I can hardly find any 500cc motorcycle sportbikes that are used for sale, just new places. Everybody is usually selling their 600 or more (which I think may be just a little much? no?). Any ideas on where to find them would be greatly appreciated.

MarcS
05-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Both are good bikes on par with eachother, I've heard that the Ninja is slightly better overall, but there's also emotional appeal and how well the bike fits you . . . there's a guy on this board selling his EX500 in SoCal:

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showthread.php?t=1521

E-Man
05-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Magamus,

Congrats on passing the MSF. I am in the same boat as you and having a heck of a time finding a decent local beginner bike (for a decent price). Good luck in your quest!

speeddemon
05-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Ebay, craigslist, cycletrader, www.forums.ninja250.org (500s occasionally come up there), www.gstwins.com (for the Suzi 500)

Good luck, you'll find something...Have you checked dealers for trade-ins? Now is the time when people upgrade.

Logan
05-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Yes a typical 600 is too for a beginner.

Either 500 will serve you well.

RIDER had a review of the Suzuki a few months back. Buy the 1st clean one (GS500 or 500R-doesn't matter), at a rerasonable price, that you can find.