PDA

View Full Version : rants and raves of a vintage scooter shopper...

yossarian
04-27-2005, 10:25 PM
So I've been attempting to hunt down a P200 for the last few months; the vw bug of vespas. Mostly reliable, up until recently still being produced, widely available. So far I've looked at 4. The first one was at a dealer and got snatched up because it was a good deal. The second was in sad sad shape. The seller told me it had new cowls and fender, and that the body paint was oxidized. Well the cowls and fender were dented and rusted and looked like they were painted with a roller and the body paint was falling off!! It also had 50K on it... I made an offer and he turned me down, and I ran away. I looked at two yesterday, same seller, same price. One was perfect (for what I had in mind, it needs cosmetic work but is mechanically solid and has 14k), except for the price, and the seller agreed, but laywers fixed the price as part of a divorce settlement; he doesn't even get the money. The other one is worth much more than he's (or his ex wife rather...) is asking, but its a german import and engine number indicates that its restricted:( That's kind of a grey area here and I can't seem to get any straight answers as what exactly is restricted. The carb is smaller, but its the same kind that we got in the US anyway. The barrel is different, but there seems to be disagreement as to whether its a straight swap or not.

I don't want to settle but I'm getting really impatient.

As a side note I gave the elite back to my friend who had it initially and broke it, on Sunday. I guess he crashed it today... He's fine, I haven't heard about the scoot, but that's not my problem anymore.

x_cuesme
04-28-2005, 08:21 PM
yoss, I sure hope things work out for you soon. Sorry to hear the Elite is crashed but at least your buddy's okay- He maybe doesn't belong on two wheels?

It's got to be really tough to try to find what you're looking for- And it's tough not to settle when you've been this patient. Hopefully the right one will turn up real soon!

x_cuesme

yossarian
04-28-2005, 11:05 PM
He's been in the dirt longer than I've been on pavement, but I don't think he's adapted that well to the differences.

TorontoBoy
04-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Part of the thrill of going vintage (MC older than 15yo) is the unique experience. With the exception of Ninja 250 and few other bikes, anyone can walk into a showroom, sit butt on bike, plonk down money and book for pickup.

The hunt for a bike is part of the challenge. Is this the right bike? Is it legal? Is it fixable? Can you fix it? What needs to be replaced? What will it cost to get it running? You know exactly what I mean.

In time your bike will come up and you'll be ready. Like the wait for parts or the agony of thinking about a 'fix' when no solution comes from the web, you need to be patient. Your patience and persistence will be rewarded.

yossarian
04-29-2005, 12:02 PM
I think my problem is I've been not only hunting for the right bike, but the right deal as well. Of the two I looked at Tuesday one was exactly what I was looking for, but is about 250 more than the going price. I may just go for it anyway.

TorontoBoy
04-29-2005, 12:42 PM
If the item you're looking for is plentiful, you're not picky and buyers like yourself are few then you might be able to get a deal. If you're looking for something special that others also cherish, then the right bike is the right deal. If the seller thinks you're in love with his MC he won't deal, so don't look insanely interested. Look for and point out aloud any faults you see. Anyway you'll quickly forget about the extra clams you had to shell out if the better condition of the bike will save you repair bills. $250 can be spent pretty quickly, as any vintage MC owner can attest.

Logan
04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
FYI, this months ROAD RIDER mag has a scooter section in the back this month. Has an article on vintage scooters.

yossarian
04-29-2005, 05:28 PM
He can't deal.. that's the problem. Even he agreed that its worth closer to 1700 (asking 2000). Divorce laywers looked at his inventory and set prices for each model regardless of condition (and without much knowledge of the market to begin with). He doesn't even get to keep the money.

yossarian
05-14-2005, 09:11 PM
rahhhhhhh I hate flakes!!