PDA

View Full Version : It just FELL OVER!!

Chrystal
04-18-2005, 09:51 AM
They say, "If you can't pick it up yourself, you shouldn't ride it."

I say, "Screw them. I'm not sellin' it."

Well, at 3:30 yesterday afternoon it happened.

The Meat took a dive.

I was sitting on it, put the kickstand down, leaned it over and it fell. It was my fault. I'm thinking the kickstand wasn't all the way down when I leaned it. It also was not in gear, if it had been in gear I think I might have been able to save it.

I felt like such a 'tard. What's worse? I couldn't pick it up. :( I didn't realize what a large bike it was until it was on its side laughing at me. I know the whole, face away from it, squat, grab it the "right" way thing. But while grabbing the lower bar, I couldn't reach the back handle. :( It looked so pitiful laying there. I couldn't reach the gas shut offf either.

It layed there for quite a while until my friend came and picked it up (laughing his butt off). He got it started and said the exhaust was "smokey" and the throttle was "doggy". I'm not sure what he meant by doggy but it's up and running now.

Damage: scratches on the mirror, very, very minor dings on the fairing - not noticible, but mega scratches on the side cover. The lower fins are not very pretty but nothing I can't live with. My pride is damaged more than the bike.

Such a long post for something so un-important....sorry. :uhh:

So, hooray for everyone who can pick up their own bike, but who here can't? Am I the only whimp out there??

:( C

Paduan
04-18-2005, 10:34 AM
During the incident, you may have been so upset with yourself that you became a bit disorganized.

Did you try to hurry through the procedure? Sometimes it is best to look away for a while, and regather your resources.

When I got the new Wing, I duct taped some rubber pads on the crash bars and practiced lifting the bike from its "down" position. Difficult at first (800 pounds), but after a couple of runs, it became pretty easy.

This may not be possible with bike that have no crash bars.....

Chrystal
04-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I was pretty upset and flustered. I guess I need to find a way to "practice" or maybe I just need to get to the gym more!

MarcS
04-18-2005, 11:09 AM
:(

The Meat is broken in now.

Heavy duty $110 ugly race cover:
http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/pu/parts.cfm?topsecid=1&subsecid=10&secid=65&type=159

If it's the generator cover with the fins on the left hand side, that's "only" $90 to replace from Ron Ayers:
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?searchstring=14031-1373
(don't sue me if that's the wrong part, I just used their little microfiche to find the part that sounds like what you're describing) . . . the fairing and padding will run you $250 to replace from Ron Ayers.

Bobthearch
04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Don't sweat it. It's happened to most of us at least once.

Replace the severely scratched parts a.s.a.p. Then you'll forget all about the drop and get back to the good stuff without the constant reminder of that awful day.

Additionally, have you been to the Pink Ribbon Rides website? They have instructions with photos showing how even a very small person can pick up a large motorcycle. The site is oriented towards women riders, but the information could be useful to anyone.

Good luck,
Bob

Chrystal
04-18-2005, 11:30 AM
....If it's the generator cover with the fins on the left hand side....

Yep, it's that one. Thanks for the sites!!

Additionally, have you been to the Pink Ribbon Rides website? They have instructions with photos showing how even a very small person can pick up a large motorcycle. The site is oriented towards women riders, but the information could be useful to anyone.

I'm gonna check that site out ASAP!

sanglant
04-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Welcome to the rat bike club! :razz:

Scratches on parts are just an excuse to have them polished; even the NRC's can be buffed up nicely, or you can run some already blingy Vortex stuff. Shop around and you'll find some good prices on the pieces you want if you're patient. Then again, I'm sure Larry can tell you that I am the last person that should be giving appearance advice.... :uhh:

You might also want to invest in a pair of frame sliders. They'll go a long way to protecting the cases and covers on the bike, and most of the plastics in a tip over, too. I'd also throw a careful eye over the control levers on that side of the bike for minor tweaking. A small bend or dent doesn't mean it's trash, but if unnoticed it can make a "it's just not quite right" feeling when you're riding. To me, that's more worrying than to know that I definately have a problem and need to ride around it.

xgambit
04-18-2005, 11:55 AM
im sure youve seen this already, right?

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup4.jpg

E-Man
04-18-2005, 12:10 PM
In the beginning of the Ride Like a Pro DVD, the host (Motorman) demonstrates a couple of different methods to pick up your bike.

I'm sure it will probably happen to me too. At least there was no major damage :thumbsup:

LDYAPXR
04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
I can't pick up mine either and I have tried Skert's method over and over. It is not so easy on a sport bike. They get REALLY close to the ground when they are down. My sympathies because I have already put my new 500 down once lightly in the gravel with minor scratches to the mirror and that was it(whew) but there was no way I could pick it up at all.

Paduan
04-18-2005, 12:50 PM
I can't pick up mine either and I have tried Skert's method over and over. It is not so easy on a sport bike. They get REALLY close to the ground when they are down. My sympathies because I have already put my new 500 down once lightly in the gravel with minor scratches to the mirror and that was it(whew) but there was no way I could pick it up at all.
Yes, you can!

You just have to find the method/procedure that works for you.

FYI - With proper lifting techniques, utilizing the quads and hams collectively, most people, with minimal training can lift 3 to 4 times their body weight.

asp125
04-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Sometimes, embrassment and adrenaline makes picking up a downed bike easy. Just don't heave it over onto its other side! :)

mudarra
04-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Then again, I'm sure Larry can tell you that I am the last person that should be giving appearance advice.... :uhh:

Your bike has that "character" look to it! :-D

Chrystal
04-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Here's the damage. Like I said, to me it's not a huge deal. I'll live.

Ninjagrrl2 - I'm with ya. I could lift it enough so the tires touched the ground, but beyond that, it didn't budge. Now I just wanna try it again - sans scratches this time.

Thanks everyone!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/cwedde/bikedrop003.jpg

xgambit
04-18-2005, 01:36 PM
embarassment fuels my abilty to pick up my 550lbs bike.

btw im 5'8" 168lbs

mudarra
04-18-2005, 01:38 PM
That's not bad at all.
Did it land handle bar down? If it did make sure your control handles and clip-on was not bent. I had to replace my front brake lever after my drop.......(plus about $200 in plastic...OUCH!) I left my scratched generator cover on the bike (as homage to the drop gods). But the 2004 ZZR doesn't have that fancy gold finned cover.

Larry

Rocky
04-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I've done the same thing twice! I extend the kickstand, lean the bike over and she keeps right on going. I got my foot caught under the bike the first time(I was trying to save it while I was in a really awkward position). I now extend the kickstand and then give it a little kick with the front of my boot to ensure its fully extended. It feels a little weird at first, but its just habit now. Good luck and stay safe out there!

MaxiScoot
04-18-2005, 02:05 PM
I couldn't pick up the Reflex, so I probably can't pick up the SilverWing either. It's 100 pounds heavier. http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1011.gif

HotFix
04-18-2005, 02:41 PM
My 652cc Savage is only 352 pounds dry - I could squat the thing!

Paduan
04-18-2005, 03:55 PM
My 652cc Savage is only 352 pounds dry - I could squat the thing!
I could squat your bike, you and your helmet - all together....

Cindy
04-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Lie it down in the grass and practice, practice, practice. :)

Actually it was easier for me on the street, the adrenaline really helped my efforts.

Cindy

mediajackl
04-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Oh, that damage isn't so bad. I know, she's your baby and it hurts to see her hurt, but any bike that's ridden likely will pick up a ding or two along the way.

Only my thick legs saved my Sportster from going down a couple months ago (and taking another parked bike with it) when the sidestand did not fully extend and lock; now I always double-doublecheck (as you will, now, too), which this weekend saved me from a similar event.

One of my Rebel's first dings came when a boot lace got tangled in the gear shift lever while going to kick the stand down - I had already started the lean, but never reached the lever and down we both went. Stuff happens, survive and move on.

Triumph
04-18-2005, 08:39 PM
While practicing my low speed manuevers in the high school parking lot, I managed to drop the bike on the right side because the bike is exceptionally hard to maneuver to the right at slow speeds (my wrist hits the tank). Ok, I told myself, pick it back up and keep on going, right? No problem picking the bike up, went back to practicing, and two minutes later I proceeded to drop the bike on the left side. :woot:

xgambit
04-18-2005, 09:55 PM
...and two minutes later I proceeded to drop the bike on the left side. :woot:

thats good balance.

your balancing the left with the right. good job.

dalan
04-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your drop, Chrystal. Don't feel bad though. I've had to pick up my wife's bike for her, but I'd bet she could do it if she had to.

I haven't had to try to pick up my Volusia yet. I think in general cruisers are probably much easier to pick up than sport bikes, particularly if they have engine guards.

Here's another tip: like others have mentioned, I give my kickstand a good solid kick forward just before I lean the bike over onto it. But I also continue to sit on the bike in a fully-braced position, as if I'm lifting the bike up off it's kickstand, until it's fully leaned-over onto its kickstand. That way I'm ready to support it if if feels like its leaning farther than it should. Finally, I also give the bike a good tug backwards on the handlebars, enough so that I'm actually dragging the whole bike backwards on its kickstand an inch or so, to make sure the stand is fully deployed. And you probably already know this: when parking on any sort of incline, always park with the front wheel facing up the incline.

Bandalero
04-19-2005, 09:44 AM
So, hooray for everyone who can pick up their own bike, but who here can't? Am I the only whimp out there??

When I first got the Virago, I put it down and practiced picking it up -- the "right" way.

That said, the two times I've dropped it I was so angry I just yanked it up like it was a bicycle. I think I could have picked up a Volkswagen. :redangry3 :angry2: :mad:

Chrystal
04-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I could squat your bike, you and your helmet - all together....

Wow P, that's hot. ;-)

Paduan
04-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow P, that's hot. ;-)
6' 4" - 270 pounds of raw manhood

15 years of power lifting - 31" thighs

still play ice hockey against guys half my age - 2 or 3 games a week

play in front of the net - goalie

goalies are noted for their flexibility and endurance - women like us

Just the facts, lady, just the facts.....

Triumph
04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
you're beginning to creep me out, paduan.

MarcS
04-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Dude...none of that counts if it's on the playstation! :redtounge

Paduan
04-20-2005, 10:12 AM
you're beginning to creep me out, paduan.
Do I detect a note of insecurity?

Not to worry - my cave is a long way from yours.....

Paduan
04-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Dude...none of that counts if it's on the playstation! :redtounge
Uh-Oh.

Overwhelming disillusionment

I thought that Playstation had become the new "reality"....

Bandalero
04-20-2005, 01:02 PM

Oh....my...... :shock: :wavey: :notworthy

subvetSSN606
04-20-2005, 01:16 PM
I think he heard me when I said honesty was an over-rated virtue. ;)

Tom

anthony
04-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Total threadjack here, but the whole "I can squat your bike" thing reminds me of being in the gym last week with my fiancee. We're trying to start up some minor weight training. Last time, I bench pressed the bar with all of 5 lbs on each side. This time, I tell her I want to up it to 10 on each side.

Her: (looking at the guy benching a couple hundred pounds next to us) "Honey, this isn't about your ego."

Me: "Do you really think that increasing my bench press from 55 to 65 pounds is helping my ego?"

Her: "Hmm, I see your point."

I gotta hit the playstation more.

Paduan
04-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Total threadjack here, but the whole "I can squat your bike" thing reminds me of being in the gym last week with my fiancee. We're trying to start up some minor weight training. Last time, I bench pressed the bar with all of 5 lbs on each side. This time, I tell her I want to up it to 10 on each side.

Her: (looking at the guy benching a couple hundred pounds next to us) "Honey, this isn't about your ego."

Me: "Do you really think that increasing my bench press from 55 to 65 pounds is helping my ego?"

Her: "Hmm, I see your point."

I gotta hit the playstation more.
Take it slow and easy, seriously. Stay with it for the long term. Concentrate of repetitions rather than poundage.

If you go too fast you can hurt yourself.

That guy on the next bench started out with a naked bar. I know I did....

E-Man
04-20-2005, 04:49 PM
I agree...you'll be amazed how you can increase weight over time (and also how you can lose strength when you slack off).

Now...if only those 12 ounce curls would show more gains in the arms and ess in the abs, I'd be all set. :thinking:

Triumph
04-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Do I detect a note of insecurity?

Not to worry - my cave is a long way from yours.....

no... your continual e-flirting across numerous threads with the women is just... creepy.

Paduan
04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
no... your continual e-flirting across numerous threads with the women is just... creepy.
They know I'm not serious. Just having fun.

And, I'm way too lazy to pursue anything beyond playful flirting.

Lighten up a little. Someday it's going to be really dark and cold, and it will be too late to have fun....

subvetSSN606
04-21-2005, 10:44 AM
"Back in the day" I used to be the flirt! ;)

Tom

Paduan
04-21-2005, 10:46 AM
"Back in the day" I used to be the flirt! ;)

Tom
Bet you still are, once in a while...

Fiacha
04-21-2005, 11:17 AM

You're just jealous he's not flirting with you. :heyyou:

:razz:

Chrystal
04-21-2005, 11:23 AM

LOL :smile:

Paduan
04-21-2005, 11:29 AM

Not my type.

Way too serious.

So Fiacha, how YOU doin'?

Chrystal
04-21-2005, 01:24 PM

P, It's a good thing they don't know what goes on in the emails! :-P

Paduan
04-21-2005, 01:29 PM
P, It's a good thing they don't know what goes on in the emails! :-P
Yeh.

Hearts would launch into tachycardia, blood pressures would go up, and all the heavy breathing would make'em dizzy....

subvetSSN606
04-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Bet you still are, once in a while...

And will be again I'm sure... but for the nonce, thanks for taking the pressure off and keeping the ladies entertained. ;)

I know, it's a tough job, but sombody's got to do it.

Tom

Paduan
04-21-2005, 02:22 PM
And will be again I'm sure... but for the nonce, thanks for taking the pressure off and keeping the ladies entertained. ;)

I know, it's a tough job, but sombody's got to do it.

Tom
Stay fresh, stay close, I may need backup.

There are so many, it's exhausting.....

subvetSSN606
04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
LOL!
But it's a good, worthy, and satisfying tired. ;)

Tom

Paduan
04-21-2005, 02:34 PM
LOL!
But it's a good, worthy, and satisfying tired. ;)

Tom
You get the sense of having accomplished something truly significant, furthering progress in the human quest....

Bandalero
04-21-2005, 02:52 PM
You're just jealous he's not flirting with you.

:lolup: :lol2:

Everybody appreciates a little good flirting now and again.... :woot:

subvetSSN606
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
You get the sense of having accomplished something truly significant, furthering progress in the human quest....

Simply putting a smile on someone else's face... most rewarding!

So many ways to do it! Humor, flirting, a hug, extending a hand, just listening...
Most get it, if only all would...

Tom