PDA

View Full Version : Places to ride

LoDownSinner
06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Well, until me and Catt move the palatial Team LDS/Black Catt Racing Race Shop, Recording Studio, & Cake Decorating Emporium to it's dream home on a few hundred acres of land, we're like most city dwelling dirty bikers. We need to go somewhere to play in the dirt.

Now, prime riding areas are getting sparser all the time with the closure of more and more places.

So --- where do you ride?

Is it legal?

Is it private property or public land or a commercial venture?

Do you do heavy duty off-roading or dirt roads?

Missy B
06-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Answers within your quote....I hope. :mrgreen:

Well, until me and Catt move the palatial Team LDS/Black Catt Racing Race Shop, Recording Studio, & Cake Decorating Emporium to it's dream home on a few hundred acres of land, we're like most city dwelling dirty bikers. We need to go somewhere to play in the dirt.

Now, prime riding areas are getting sparser all the time with the closure of more and more places.

So --- where do you ride? We drive 1/2 hour for our most common spot...Wilmot becomes a dirt road where we go, then we make a right and keep going into desert. :mrgreen: We've also done a combination of gas lines and trails off those gas lines.
There is also another area called Redington Pass that I want to explore but we havent yet. Heard a lot about it. One of the RiderCoaches recently did the whole thing on his recently purchased, brand new BMW GS1200 and said, "They have some nerve calling that a road." LOL

Is it legal? Yes, as long as you have a permit. $20 for the family for a year.

Is it private property or public land or a commercial venture? All State Trust Land. There's also a dirt track here but we havent ventured that yet.

Do you do heavy duty off-roading or dirt roads? I guess I really dont know the difference. It's not just dirt roads but I dont think it's heavy duty off-roading either. Lots of wash crossings and sand and even a few spots where elevation is had if you wanna. :mrgreen:

Missy B
06-13-2007, 12:15 AM
A Redington Pass wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redington_Pass

azpenguin
06-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Redington Pass is a place for the high clearance crowd... although now that you bring it up it does sound like it'd be a lot of fun on a dual sport. (I'd prefer to ride it all the wayy through to San Manuel and catch some lunch with Gramps.) Done it in a truck and it's pretty neat.

twizted1
06-13-2007, 07:48 AM
LDS,

The wife & I are moving back to Monterey & you and Catt are more than welcome to come up and stay up there to go riding with us. We goto a few places up there w/in an hour of Monterey (mostly east & north). We normally goto a place in Alpine, TN and sometimes to Pickett State Park (surrounding fire roads & trails). Just give us a call and we might be able to accomodate you, we'll just have to get a group together to go riding that weekend.

LoDownSinner
06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
That'd be call as hell.

We don't have any street-legal dirt bikes, though...

Clintk
06-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I havent ridden dirt bikes yet, but I have ridden four wheelers. I'm "lucky" enough to have grown up in the country where land is plenty. Plus my grandfather had about 250 acres of land that we can ride on.

kwr8728
06-13-2007, 01:52 PM
LDS i know you are way up in Nashville, but down in Georgia is Durhamtown Plantation. Look it up! You can probably make a weekend out of it and still not ride everything. Its private and very much legal. Plus there are some areas in the USNF near Blairsville, Ga. I also know the US Trials Championship is held up outside of Chattanooga. May want to gander in that area too. There is also a few ATV trails near Chattsworth, Georgia.

twizted1
06-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Trailers do wonders....We trailer to the offload point then ride from there....

LoDownSinner
06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
OK, I was thinking you meant riding on fire roads and stuff.

I guess I could get tags for the KTM, but I'm too lazy to put lights on it, LOL!!

twizted1
06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
No tags required for the fireroads...just need tags to get to where we ride (fourwheelers for me bud...)

kwr8728
06-15-2007, 05:09 PM
No tags required for the fireroads...just need tags to get to where we ride (fourwheelers for me bud...)

IN the state of georgia, that isnt the case. Vehicles must be registered (taged) to operate on "fire roades... us Forestry Roads.

Bull1189
06-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Almost all of the land in Idaho - 80-90 percent - is publicly owned. The clearwater forest is what I am exploring these days - very close. But there are plent of gravel and fire roads all over the place up here. So sometimes I just go and explore.

caeman
06-15-2007, 05:55 PM
I won't have anywhere to go when I finally find a dirt bike, so I am going to turn part of my mom's field into a dirt track for me and my wife's yard kart. I grew up on 15 acres of farm land. Beautiful stuff.