PDA

View Full Version : We're expanding!

Derick
03-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Well, I've been considering this for a long time now, and that has been expansion. Beginnerbikers is going to expand to ridercentral.com While my intent is to gather as many people as possible with varying levels of experience, many times people avoid the site as a "beginner" site. Therefore, ridercentral.com is going to be available to everyone interested in riding, beginner or expert. It will share the same database...but the format will look different, and I'll probably re organize the forums, but I think it will turn out great. It should also draw a lot more traffic by name alone...watch out for the next few weeks, its gonna be awesome! :thumbsup:

Mer
03-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Something for everyone. Keep up the great work dboogie! :thumbsup:

MarcS
03-29-2005, 12:56 PM
So, posts that appear on BB will appear on RC, and vice-versa, but the pages will look differently?

jenniferb
03-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Everything you've done so far has been great, I'm sure this will be the same. Thanks for all your hard work, time and energy! :-)

LordSmoke
03-29-2005, 06:15 PM
I dunno. Isn't the point specifically to attract and help beginners?

That's what attracted me to the old group. Now, I come here to learn about and maybe help with first/second bike choices, parking lot practice, initial gear purchases, etc. I go elsewhere for bike-specific discussion (yahoo nighthawks group) and more "experienced" discourse (sport-touring.net). I recommend this site to beginners that identify themselves on those groups and point NH owners on this and STN to the NH group. I think these are quite different and unique communities. Though there is, for instance, a beginners section on STN, and there seems an adequate and maybe surprisingly large number of experienced riders who are regulars here.

Just my $0.02

sogentle
03-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi, I was directed to this site because it was for new riders like myself. It's always a good sign things are changing and expanding, but is it still alright to ask `stupid' questions? :???:

Allan
03-30-2005, 08:58 AM
What brought me to the old Beginner Bikes site it that it was specifically for beginners and I didt feel that there was stupid questions. I think the ridercentral would bring in some more experienced riders and maybe get some riders who would not post at a "beginner" site. But I think the site should still be slanted towards beginner riding. Just my $.02.

Derick
03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Well the bottom line is, there are going to be a-holes no matter what type of site you create. It just happens. I mean, I could make a "Happy Tree Friends" website, and people would come in and start blasting it. For the interim, ridercentral is just pointed at BBO.. but that WILL change. Whether or not its a shared database with BBO, not entirely sure with this feedback. Basically, it's all about the traffic.

Mer
03-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Maybe a new rider section within the ridercentral website. (maybe that's what you intended to do) I've seen that on a few other websites and it seems to work pretty well.

Logan
03-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Well the bottom line is, there are going to be a-holes no matter what type of site you create. It just happens....

THere's a site I belong to, mostly long term non-poser bikers, but a few relative newbies.

To join you have to list on the "new members" page before being admittes to the full board. Keeps the worst of the undesirables out.

It's a happy, but very diverse, group.

asp125
03-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Turn the tables, create an Advanced Riders subsection. I think the main issue is to create the site so that it will show up in search engines when newbies google beginning riders or motorcycles.

subvetSSN606
03-30-2005, 06:11 PM
I haven't had a chance to talk with dboogie much at all about this, so don't have much to add.
All I know is that at this point details are not specific or decided.

I would like to assure the beginners among us that helping beginners has been my primary motivation for my involvement both here and at the original BB. So I will be lobbying to ensure that the general character, feel, and purpose of this forum is not inadvertantly lost in whatever changes are down the road.

That said, I can see the motivation and the benefits of a more general site... especially as a "draw" for both beginners and experienced riders. You need both for this forum to work well. Also is a good idea to have a place for those who no longer want to be beginners or to make a priority of helping beginners.

That's all I've got until I know more.

Tom

JJohnston
03-30-2005, 06:19 PM
asp125 - good idea.

dboogie - I think you've done an AWESOME job with bb.org, and I don't want you to take this like I'm trying to tell you how to run it. However, I feel like your best bet in leading this community into a change as big as the name would be to create a poll. Get others opinion, and take it to heart. I realize that there is NO WAY to please everyone all the time, but as a leader don't you want the majority of the community to be pleased if it's possible?

My opinion: if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I (as I'm sure many others) specifically use this site as a tool...and I don't even have a m/c yet. I most likely wouldn't have even checked out ridercentral when I was searching for a beginners site.

However, inevitably the site will begin to have more and more "experienced" riders as time passes, and I think this is what you are aiming for. Furthermore, it'll be a closer community as we will all grown "experienced" together.

Cindy
03-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I sure hate to hear it. There are tons of regular motorcycle forums out there and very few for beginners, but I do respect your right to do what you want with your website.

What the heck, I need to be out riding more and net surfing less anyway. :)

Cindy http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/smiles/action-smiley-083.gif

Derick
03-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, let's be clear BBO isnt going away. There has been little discussion between me and the powers that be about what will happen in regards to cross membership and so on, but bear in mind beginnerbikers.org will not change....with that in mind..where we go from here is still in the works...basically, consider bbo as the high school of motorcycles, and RC (in the future) will be the college of motorcycles.....where members from both, can always come back to teach.. get it?

HotFix
03-31-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm glad to hear that beginnerbikers.org will not change. I'm also looking forward to a parallel community of other bikers.

Could we not focus on beginner bikers and experienced bikers? We are all developing riders. As such we are constantly learning. This is especially true for individuals (regardless of years in the saddle) that log on to a site like this.

Even someone who has ridden for years may seek advice on new bike technology, seat preferences, bike related hobbies (geocahing, camping, etc.) or how the other person holds onto their registration cards.

MikeInSLC
03-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Could we not focus on beginner bikers and experienced bikers? We are all developing riders. As such we are constantly learning. This is especially true for individuals (regardless of years in the saddle) that log on to a site like this.

Agree comletely...None of us should expect to get to a point in our riding where we'll no longer be able to learn from reading, querying and contributing to this site. As long as new riders searching for beginner oriented sites will be able to find this community, great...If experienced riders searching for a general riding forum to seek information or just meet other riders, all the better. There's little benefit to the beginner without also attracting a diverse and dynamic community of experienced riders. The important thing to strive towards is a community that welcomes newbie questions and fosters an environment where all can be comfortable asking noob questions, and feel comfortable contributing content without being hammered....so basically, as long as we don't corrupt the nature of this community that allows such participation, the more the merrier...

Continued kudos on a great job, db!

MarcS
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
That's almost derogatory...have you seen a US highschool lately? :)

Well, let's be clear BBO isnt going away. There has been little discussion between me and the powers that be about what will happen in regards to cross membership and so on, but bear in mind beginnerbikers.org will not change....with that in mind..where we go from here is still in the works...basically, consider bbo as the high school of motorcycles, and RC (in the future) will be the college of motorcycles.....where members from both, can always come back to teach.. get it?

Derick
03-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Agree comletely...None of us should expect to get to a point in our riding where we'll no longer be able to learn from reading, querying and contributing to this site. As long as new riders searching for beginner oriented sites will be able to find this community, great...If experienced riders searching for a general riding forum to seek information or just meet other riders, all the better. There's little benefit to the beginner without also attracting a diverse and dynamic community of experienced riders. The important thing to strive towards is a community that welcomes newbie questions and fosters an environment where all can be comfortable asking noob questions, and feel comfortable contributing content without being hammered....so basically, as long as we don't corrupt the nature of this community that allows such participation, the more the merrier...

Continued kudos on a great job, db!

Oh, I agree completely..unfortunately, reality has a different story for us. Many times people will ride for a year or so, and consider themselves pro, and "above" visiting a site such as this with "beginner" in the title. While I think it's total hogwash, it's true. The old BB had a great, and diverse user base...hopefully BBO and RC will complement each other rather than compete with each other. Again, the fate of RC isn't yet decided...plenty of time to consider the best role for it.

Derick
03-31-2005, 11:47 AM
That's almost derogatory...have you seen a US highschool lately? :)

I was gonna say elementary school, but figured I'd get beat up about it.. :smug:

x_cuesme
04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, I'm afraid I'm with Cindy on this one.

There are tons of 'regular' bike sites out there- The atmosphere here will change when the emphasis is off 'beginner' and we're trying to attract 'experienced'.

Just first example that comes to my mind- A lot more influence to wear a lot less gear. Please don't tell me that the 'gear standards' promoted on BB are promoted on most 'general bike' sites.

I've never felt a lack of input from 'experienced' riders here. What I have seen is a lot of input from experienced riders who endorse good standards for 'beginners'. I think we stand a good chance of losing that.

All the 'elementary' and highschool crap is crap. Actually is insulting.

But it's not my site - anymore than the old one was- and what will be will be.

More riding, less net surfing..

Stay safe-

x_cuesme

GaTo
04-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Turn the tables, create an Advanced Riders subsection. I think the main issue is to create the site so that it will show up in search engines when newbies google beginning riders or motorcycles.

I agree with this... Create a section for the advanced riders... This will help with a smooth transition.. Also when i go to ridercentral.com it takes me str8 here? Isn't it supposed to be a seperate site?

countrygirl
04-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a good idea keep up the good work

MaxiScoot
04-19-2005, 12:04 PM
I like the idea. You've done a great job with BB.org, and I think you'll do well with Rider Central.

I've put 6,000 miles on my SilverWing in the last six months. This does not make me a pro by any means, but I don't really consider myself a newbie either. If I see a questions on the forum that I know a little something about, I'll chime in. If not, I let others with more experience answer.

I have two favorite sites, this one, and Two Wheeled Texans. TWT gets quetions from newbies frequently; but they also have a lot of riders in the itermediate, as well as experienced range. I find myself visiting there quite a bit. The majority ride sport bikes, but they seem to take my not so little scooter in stride. Scott, the administrator, doesn't put up with any crap either. If someone joins and tries to start anything political, bashing, unsavory, etc., he locks the topic, and you won't see them on the forum again. The topic will also disappear. His site, his rules. I like and respect that.

I also have to add that TWT had a "Pie Run" in January and 70 bikes with 77 people showed up from all over Texas. Every one of them had riding gear and a helmet on. I also realize that not all sites promote ATGATT, but Rider Central can promote ATGATT and discourage anyone who doesn't.

Regardless of my "not brand new" newbie status, I find myself returning to BB.org. I feel like I've grown up with the folks here and, I like it here. However, I think Rider Central will bring in more fine people with a wider range of experience. I have to agree with "the more the merrier."

Dboogie has done an excellent job administering this site and keeping things on a friendly, even keel. I'm sure he and the moderators can do the same with Rider Central. I look forward to becoming a part of that community, too.

JoeLansing
04-23-2005, 01:47 AM
If you need any help with hosting pics or bandwith or anything on here I can loan you at least a gig of space and 5GB a day transfer to and from it if needed. I'd just hate to see a pure beginner site become diluted. The first site died because of money issues even though I donated plenty of $$$ Maybe if I can donate web resources it will help more? - Joe

subvetSSN606
04-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Let me try to clarify a few things...

First, dboogie has stated earlier that bb.org is not going away.

Well, let's be clear BBO isnt going away. There has been little discussion between me and the powers that be about what will happen in regards to cross membership and so on, but bear in mind beginnerbikers.org will not change....with that in mind..where we go from here is still in the works...

What is presently being contemplated is a separate, but associated site. Run by the same management (at least at the top level, although likely at least some different moderators). The two will likely share the same member list... somewhat like Delphi forums where you register once, but have access to multiple forums using the same username, password, avatar, sig. The sites would have conspicuous links from one to the other, and the fact that they are associated would be obvious, but would still be separate.

Now let me address some comments and post some of my general thoughts...

Although money was an issue with bb.com, it certainly wasn't the sole reason for its demise. Many of the factors were interelated though.
One of them was that it got too big, and too fast. Someone mentioned in a different thread that they really liked the volume here... it worked well. Not too big, not too small. I think that's a very valid point. Part of what contributed to bb.com getting too big, and contributed to other problems was that a number of long term members continued to participate. Now, in general, that's a good thing. But a significant portion of those members were a bit tired of the "beginner" thing, and wanted something more than the site offerred. Nothing wrong with that.
Problem was trifold-
1. Site didn't want to invest resources into providing it.
2. Members, having contributed, felt they should have a say in what was provided.
3. Disgruntled members didn't want to just walk away, they'd made friends, they wanted to continue interacting with their friends.

Dboogie has worked very hard on this site, and continues to work hard at planning ahead so that this site does not fall victim to some of the aforementioned pitfalls.

On the plus side, I think Rider Central will be helpful in avoiding some of those.
It would not only provide another avenue for recruiting both beginners and experienced riders to bb.org, it would provide a place to go for those tired of bb.org... and one that would have the same people involved!
On the down side, It could possibly dilute the participation at bb.org.

Our challenge is to get it right this time. Time the implementation, and manage it such that we get that right balance of new members coming in, old members moving on, (and hopefully dropping back on occasion) to keep the general feel and atmosphere that is welcoming to new riders at bb.org.

All that said... input is welcome. Just promise not to be offended of we don't go with it. ;)

Tom

ls14evar
04-28-2005, 07:52 PM
FWIW search engine positioning would help alot. I had a hard time finding this site and I knew it existed.

Derick
04-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah, we had a google advertising campaign going, but it ended up costing too much. We've had some more donations lately, maybe we could start that again.

CT biker chic
05-05-2005, 10:22 PM
:roll: ....ut - oh! I have been riding for a long time. Some of my newbie friends told me about this wonderful site.....I am not new to riding, but do ask all sorts of questions all the time..... I am :shock: (shocked!) that anyone would think that any question is silly or dumb...or what ever. I guess what I am trying to say is that I do ask questions all the time....maybe it will help me to better myself at riding or possibly steer me in a direction to get better equipment or maybe even help with a glitch that hardly anyone runs up against, but if you ask just one more time....WOW....that someone had that happen and now you have an answer!!! No question is stupid...only the unasked...and I am sure you have heard that! This is a terrific site from what I have seen and experienced or not, there is a lot of information you can pick up on just from reading. I am always looking for more information to make my biking fabulous! There are many out there that have something to offer that may come in handy. :wiggleit: Did I say all that right?

subvetSSN606
05-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Sounds good to me CT biker chic! Welcome to the board!

You sound like a BB.org kind of rider... "Questions aren't stupid... riding around without answers is stupid!" "Doesn't mattter how good you are or how long you've been riding... there's always more to learn." We try to provide an atmosphere that encourages people to ask questions, whatever they are. And will continue to do so.

Isn't a one of us came out of the womb riding a bike, so for anyone getting started, all their questions need answered. Hopefully we either answer them or point them to where the answers are.

Tom

shorty65
05-08-2005, 08:37 AM
I have already bookmarked ridercentral.com. I'm ready.

Swamilon
07-23-2005, 11:55 AM
dboogie, you've done a great job and I've learned alot from the people from hear and the old sight as well. I will always believe that learning from you guys saved my life last year. I will support you wherever you go and whatever you call your website. Thanks for sharing your experience of motorcycling with me(us).

swamilon

sogentle
11-27-2005, 10:19 PM
hi, it's been a while.. but did you create the `ridercentral' group?

pdxvespa
11-28-2005, 01:04 AM
Missed this thread, since its last post was b/f I started following BB. I would have missed the site entirely if it hadn't been tagged as a beginner's site... I've since come to appreciate that its membership contains lots of veteran riders-- all of whom are committed to both safety and shared knowledge.