PDA

View Full Version : An awesome little store...

Paduan
03-17-2005, 08:55 PM
After having spent countless hours searching website catalogues and bike dealer stores, I wandered into this little place in Anchorage, Alaska, and found myself totally awestruck.

From the outside, one might not be terribly impressed. No neon - no chrome - no big windows. Just a little wood-frame building.

Once inside, you immediately note ALL of the high quality MC apparel labels. Row upon row of the very best protective gear. Lots of helmets, jacket, pants and gloves all around. Only the best stuff.

Then you find that the people running the place are actual bikers. They also sponsor approved riding courses.

Their message to the customer is simple: "You won't leave here with something that's not right for you, or doesn't fit perfectly".

They invested quite a bit of time helping me get sized just right for a new jacket, and every time I asked if they could order "something", I would be shown a rack that already has it!

When I mention that my next stop was at a bike dealer to order some aftermarket pipes, I was ever so casually told that they could have said pipes two-day drop shipped to my address, with no shipping charges. This is a really big deal in Alaska.

The name of the store is ALASKA LEATHER. They have a small, new website (www.alaskaleather.com), with a toll-free phone number. They will get anything you want, and ship it anywhere you want at a reasonable price. And they will guarantee your satisfaction.

I do not often plug retailers, but these folks really impressed me. Check them out....

Harvey
03-17-2005, 09:05 PM
They really like that sheepskin butt-pad of theirs, don't they? I don't blame 'em, though, Alaska is a big place... I really like the "Mad Cow" color! :D

Paduan
03-18-2005, 06:58 PM
They really like that sheepskin butt-pad of theirs, don't they? I don't blame 'em, though, Alaska is a big place... I really like the "Mad Cow" color! :D

The sheepskin buttpads are nice, but there are better options. Maybe a bit more expensive if you don't live here.

For warmth, you just can't beat a caribou fur butt pad. The hair fibers are hollow, and very soft. The relative color can be selected from various locations on the hide. You can get several pads per caribou, so it's not necessary to kill one every year. Unless you like to eat them.

For sheer weather resistance, wolverine is king. The fur will not absorb water and ice won't stick to it. Very warm, but not as soft as caribou. Not so easy to get, and wolverines are really mean....